MultiCam CNC Onion Skin - Request For Comment

Hello @Team_Woodworking, I’m looking for comments on this job I’m getting ready to run on the MultiCam. Basically, I want to make sure I’m not going to turn the MultiCam into a Ninja flinging square Throwing Stars at 200 MPH across the woodshop. The reason I’m concerned is I’m onion skinning the outer profiles on my 1/4” MDF. I’ve set the onion skin thickness to .022” (.56mm). The squares are 6" x 6".

1 Like

Put Tabs along the edge, can do this in VCarve. These are small thin and easy to cut out with a knife or sharp chisel when done. They hold the work and let you onion skin.

Oh, and thanks for asking so the spoil board is saved!

2 Likes

I originally had tabs on the outer profiles. Since I’m using a 90 degree 0.5" VBit to create the 45 degree outer profiles, the VBit creates a pretty ugly and hard to clean up tab. See pic. Am I using the wrong bit for the outer profiles?

Create your file like you normally would. Then at the machine when you set your max depth put a piece of sandpaper or paper that is thicker than notebook paper under the touchplate. That should bring your max depth up ever so slightly leaving an onion skin. Cut your parts out with a utility knife afterwards.

This will also leave an onion skin on all parts that go all the way through but just poke them through from the back side and sand a bit.

6 Likes

That’s a good idea. If I do that, then I can eliminate the tabs from the rest of the parts, too. Are we talking 80 grit sand paper or 600 grit sand paper?

1 Like

Somewhere around the 80-120. You just want it to be as thick as the Onion skin. Also find the flattest part of the table (no cuts in the spoilboard). Block off as much of the table as possible as well.

Good luck.

4 Likes

3D tabs. They cut faster and, as far as I can tell, are just as strong.

3 mm high by 12 mm long seems to work well with Baltic birch.