Multicam Authorized Users Only

I’m gearing up for some router work and need to get checked off again for the new multicam procedures… I think it’s down right now but I’d like to get something scheduled as soon as i can. Have own dummy test cuts or can do the joes tool shop sign, doesn’t matter… thanks in advance

The test cut, not your cut does matter:) How many projects have you completed? When were you signed off and when was the last time you used the machine? Just curious how experienced and how current you are. Sounds like you are quiet accomplished on the machine.

We are in the final stretch, but I have been on a project outside of DMS and have been most active on the writeup mornings between 4:30 and 6:30 AM. I have to admit that I have been slacking the last week. As previously mentioned, the team will take the time to get any job processed by a preexisting certified user when asked.

I promise things have been moving forward, Some aspects are very slow to complete. Volunteer’s efforts seem to ebb and flow. It will be understandable when you undertake a project of this magnitude. This is little different than launching a professional product, but without the resources and the abiity to hire and fire people. Anyway, this wiki documentation isn’t finished, so please review it again before you attempt recertification so your aren’t disappointed if you don’t pass. The machine’s health is more important than the individual user’s access to the machine.

This documentation is still being created and has not under gone technical editing at this point. Our wiki doesn’t allow pages to be tagged hidden, so it shows work in progress with all its warts.

https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/MultiCam_CNC_Router_V2.0

Again, please reach out if you are ready to run a job and we wil get it done.

3 Likes

Ok Burt.

I have recreated your test cut. Let me know when I can cut it. Thankyou.

Not sure if you forgot but,

…I’m still waiting to hear from you about setting up a time to go over the new procedures. Can we please get something scheduled

We will let you know when we restart training & testing and how it will roll out. I’m unable to spend any time on the project for at least the next ten days. I would have only been seven, but I caught something and it destroyed my last three days. I had the free time time to develop courseware, but not the energy. As noted at the very top, the wiki entry will be changing before actually being released. The wiki might have erroneously suggested a one-on-one machine tutorial, but it is more reasonable that this will happen in a small group setting. Also, previously checked out(in old AD) users will be processed first in order to help improve how the material is presented to members that have never passed the checkout.
Have a great week.

More roadblocks. This is getting ridiculous. According to your original post existing users were being allowed back on as of 9/19. Have any existing users been allowed back on? What has changed? If this post is no longer valid - shouldn’t it be closed?

I originally asked to be checked out over a week ago. Your responses keep changing. You seem to be intent on providing a response without ever providing an answer. Way back in august when we talked in person, I told you that I was a part of the sig during the last retrofit. During that rebuild, the factor that limited us the most in what we could do was the amount of down time we would inconvenience the other makers with (measured in days). Clearly, you don’t have the same motivation. During that same conversation - roughly 4 months ago, you estimated completion to be 2 weeks out. I’ve been extremely patient, but it’s wearing thin.

I absolutely hate having to write this message. I resent being in this position, but again during that same conversation in august, I twice asked if I could help and both times you deflected it away, the second time your response made me feel bad for even offering to help, so I literally do not know what else to do. You’ve already taken 4 months to do modifications that as you explained them to me, decrease the machines functionality - with vacuum hold down delete and diminished z axis travel. I didn’t fully understand your rationale for this back in august nor do I now. Quit deflecting and quit dragging this out. Let’s get this done already. I want to get something scheduled this week. You being unavailable is not an excuse because you have a whole team that you didn’t want me to be a part of that can go over the “upgrades” with me and make me a believer.

Tell you what… Let’s see you clock a hundred hours plus around DMS volunteering. Doesn’t matter if you pickup litter. I have a pretty good idea that you don’t regularly add value around here or you wouldn’t be acting this way. That machine is a privilege for everyone. Road blocks implies I am trying to keep you off. If you really hated writing this you would have sent it as a PM. No, you wanted to try and publicly shame me. You picked the wrong person to pull that with.

Have you written ever any kind process documentation or courseware? Keep in mind the Powermatic rebuild was happening in parallel. Keep in mind that many items regarding this also required the effort of other volunteers at DMS. Want me to send you a list of people that you can send a nasty gram to because they didn’t jump fast enough for your taste? I can only imagine how that would go over with them.

If you have jobs stacking up, go purchase a machine. You can rent them or buy them.

As far as motivation, there were many week days that were spent on this. Not only myself, but others. Did we see you up here taking vacation days from work in order to help?

I have my own business and it is the year end. I am tryimg to finish up a project, so trust me when I say I am motivated to get back on this. That will mean my project is completed and I am paid.

You will learn why all the machine trade offs were made in class. I surprised that the reasons aren’t blatantly obvious to an implied power user such as yourself.

If you want to discuss this in person I have zero issues with that.

Have a nice day.

P.S. Sign up for the yard art and join the fun.

The fact that you don’t understand the rationale for the changes is precisely why we collectively decided retraining is necessary.

Vacuum hold-down wasn’t deleted. And “diminished z-axis travel” simply means you don’t get to destroy the machine’s vacuum boards as in the past.

While the member’s communication wasn’t as smooth as it could’ve been, I think what they’re saying is, they want to get retrained, so they can use the tool. Y’all put in a lot of hard work getting it back to awesomeness. You’ll never add people to the maintenance team if you don’t train new members/users.

This is nothing new. Access to the Multicam is a membership draw, and lack of training and access is a frustration, and it’s been evident on Talk since I first joined DMS in 2016.

3 Likes

Again, I offered to help. Again, you made it clear you didn’t want my help. I was ok with that, because quite frankly i was weary of you as you were sending mixed messages… like you’re doing now.

Again, during that august conversation you directed me to check out your blog on talk and i told you I avoid talk because of basically exactly this. You also bragged to me that you had been banned several times and now I’m beginning to understand why. I was getting nowhere being nice and passive with you, so now I have to do it more directly. I assure you, I have been using restraint when composing my messages - it would be (or would have been) wise of you to do the same. Do you actually feel shame? I would posit not.

The only thing i’m asking for is access to a machine that I’ve been using for literal years before you apparently took sole ownership of it. Why are you denying me of the opportunity that is allegedly available to all the other existing multicam users?

Great! - So now you are available this week to show me the new procedures as per my original request!?! Tell me when.

Nope. I must finish writing the documentation. I offered to go over the changes and why.
The wild, wild, west days of people cowboying the machine are gone. Moving forward everyone will be following the exact same procedures, just like a real CNC operation.
Out of curiosity, what have you primarily used the machine to produce and how many jobs have you processed?

I figured as much Burt. So were you lying earlier about being available or are you lying now about not being available? To be clear, I’m not calling you a liar, I’m saying it’s self-evident from the words you have written.

You keep asking for me to satisfy your curiosity. That sounds like a good volunteer opportunity for one of your “minions”.

I am largely baffled by your responses. I keep putting myself in your shoes and thinking about how profusely I’d be apologizing to all my fellow makers for my gross underestimation of the size of the project I chose to be responsible for especially considering how high demand of a tool it is. You do different things. You are unable to even acknowledge blowing a timeline by orders of magnitude.

While public shaming has never been an intent of mine, at this point I do feel ashamed on your behalf. You’re all signal, little if any virtue. Your entire face lights up when you start talking about punitive measures. You are a punitive measure. You are just another speedbump to creativity. An obstacle to overcome to make art. You address the people ON YOUR OWN TEAM as sychophants and servile underlings. That is what minions are - that’s your word. This is you. This is what your about based off your own words and actions.

I’m not even sure if you’re the guy i originally talked to anymore, because that guy appeared to be an adult. You are just exhausting.

Seriously, enough. While it may not be on your time schedule it’s getting done. I’m tired of seeing you berate someone who goes out of their way to help others. This sort of behavior is why people don’t want to take on lengthy projects to make the space better.

1 Like

Ben, you are quite mistaken. While the project has taken longer than originally scoped I’d like to suggest you look at SWA’s history over the last several months. In addition to taking on the rework of the multicam there are numerous other things he has been involved in to keep the Space running… the PM 66 rework project to name one.

All this while doing a day to day job and the other things that go along with “adulting”.

I think the shop in general owes him thanks rather than criticism. After all, we are a volunteer organization.

7 Likes