Multi-discipline project classes: make a photo pillow

I have vowed to stay off here, but it really is the only way to get information sometimes. So…

I have a dream of putting together multi-discipline project courses. For an example:

Make a photo pillow.

This would require

1. Using the laptops or other computers to teach a simple photo editing class.
  2. Using the dye sub setup to print the photo to fabric.
  3. Using the sewing machines to make the pillow with a zipper.

(I can teach 1 and 3, but would need a partner to teach dye sub)

Are classes that take 3 lesson times even a good idea?
Have multi-class projects been tried before?
Do you get the honorarium for 1 or for 3?

I recall some of the classes saying “bring your image ready” but realize that not everyone knows how to do that. It feels like a good idea, but if you think otherwise, do let me know.

(Also - well aware that the next couple of months aren’t going to be the easiest time to try something like this. Thinking ahead.)

The way you’ve identified it, someone could take any or all of the classes. If they want a photo pillow but know how to do the photo editing, they could take classes 2 & 3. If they want the zippered pillow but don’t care about the photo, they could bring their own fabric and take class 3. If they want the photo but don’t want the pillow they could take classes 2 and/or 1. And so on …

Depending on the class length, you could possibly teach 1 and 2 contiguously, with just a short break between them.

For the dye sub part, it requires a synthetic fabric.

That’s good to know. Will keep my eye out for something with a little texture. Had cotton duck in mind, but now I know better. :slight_smile:

Also, on the dye sub … there is no such thing as white ink. White is the absence of ink.

Although the dye sub process is completely different, it’s conceptually similar to the effect a transparent decal would make. Light colored fabric will work best.

EDIT: Since the fabric is going into the heat press for the dye sublimation, I’ll bet you could use Stitch witchery or equivalent to bond the fabric onto a piece of cotton duck at the same time if you want the added durability.

Or make the case out of polyester. 100% will do nice dye sub, and any poly Cotten blend will be “vintage”. The dye sub will only adhere to the poly fibers so the greater the cotton content the greater the “worn” look.

1 Like