Multi-card reader for the computers in CA

I know @Kriskat30 had to hunt down a card reader a few weeks ago when she was transferring some photos. I found an spare in my WI stash and brought it down with me.

Where do we think it would be best deployed?

1 Like

For my $.02, put it in your personal storage bin, offer it to folks who ask, ask them to put it back there when done. Things like this seem to grow legs (for a variety of perfectly valid reasons, possibly, e.g. “it was broken when I tried to use it so I binned it”).

AKA: I plugged it into a different USB port from the first time I used it and Windows doesn’t recognize it.

Thanks Microsoft.

There’s a plan. Thanks.

https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/Rules_and_Policies#Donations

Touch base with Nicole (@uglyknees), the current committee chairperson.

Not only because it’s a rule; but, also because if she doesn’t know why it’s there, it’s likely to end up on the Lost & Found shelf - believing that a member probably left it behind on accident.

2 Likes

That’s ok. @jast helped me figure this one out. I’ll just keep it close and tell @Kriskat30 she can grab it anytime she needs it.

3 Likes

It sounds like if this is a need and there are issues with these walking away it may be worth looking into a front mount media reader. Something along these lines, https://smile.amazon.com/Manhattan-Hi-Speed-3-5-Inch-Multi-Card-100915/dp/B002LBTVQA/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1489437196&sr=8-8&keywords=front+mount+multi+card If many users want it it might be something the committee may want to purchase.

1 Like

That could be something that Infrastructure might look into when we do the computer refresh… (check the upcoming board meeting agenda for more details…).

In the meantime, if @uglyknees wants me to purchase adapters - with the knowledge that they might walk off… I could certainly do that!

I’m running errands right now. If anyone knows of a decent card reader for less than $10 each, please post links for Nicole to consider… Thx!! :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

I have this one, never had an issue with it (until I plugged the hub into a different USB port… :rage: ) - 8 bucks

1 Like

I’m not sure that one’s a good call. I mean, sure, it supports memory stick and memory stick duo, but what if I want to use my SmartMedia cards to move files around? How am I supposed to get my files off my zip disks?

You’re still using Zip? Upgrade to Jaz! :yum:

Zip Disk? Look at Mr. Fancy! I keep my stuff on 9-track tape!

1 Like

Too much space, man. Who could ever need a whole gigabyte of storage? That’s just ridiculous. That’s being greedy.

Good news though, if you’re one of those ballas who’s just rolling it, you too can upgrade to Jaz.

1 Like

We purchased them - they must still be in the teaching cabinets. I will break them out when I get to the space.

Pfffht, I keep my stuff on Syquest cartridges. 40/80 megs baby!

Gyaah, I’ve used every single one of the data storage formats listed in this thread so far (well, not the tape, but still…). :grin:

1 Like