MuliCAM CNC Router - Spoil Board Replacement - Finished

I am in the process of changing out the old soil board.for the CNC Router Vacuume table. I have cut the 2 spoil boards down that were supplied to me to the appropriate size. I have also applied 1 coat of a 50/50 water & wood glue mixture to the edging. I will be back this evening to do a second coat and replace the old soil board and complete the job.

12 Likes

that’s awesome. Thank you!

Thanks!! That’s awesome.

Thank you for stepping up and replacing the spoil board.

In the future, it might make things easier/faster to use the metal tape on the edges so you don’t have to wait for the glue to dry.

Either way, thanks for taking on the task.

And… The new spoilboards (or at least one of them) didn’t last 24 hours.

It was an unfortunate accident (accident as in ‘unintentional,’ not as in ‘unforeseeable’) but still…

Seems to be a common occurrence. The last time we changed them, they didn’t last 12 hours without someone cutting the spoil boards.

1 Like

Are we charging those members who mess them up? If not, it sounds like we need to start as much as I hate to say it.

As it was explained to me after I sullied the spoil board, mistakes happen even when you do everything correctly. I had a bit slip for whatever reason and the cuts were progressively deeper as the project went on. Unless it was obvious max depth wasn’t set, or wanton destruction, I don’t know how we would equally enforce an accident versus someone that just didn’t follow the rules.

When my spoil board issue happened, I reported it to talk, and then asked Chris what I had done wrong. He said that it looked like the bit slipped and there probably wasn’t much that I could have done about it after the project had started because the first cuts were fine, then progressively deeper.

In my opinion, the least we can expect from someone is to report it, even if it’s a 1/32" cut into the spoil board. If you don’t report it, you have to go back through the class. We could even have a form to be filled out asking what happened, whether it was foreseeable, etc.

On another note, I wonder if we could get the top of the spoil board to be a color that isn’t light brown. If I’m cutting MDF and I see some color like blue, red, orange, etc in the dust coming from the project then I know to hit the e-stop.

4 Likes