Mulberry tree needs to come down

I’ve got a mulberry in my front yard that needs to come down. Is anyone interested in helping me cut it down in exchange for their choice of blocks for turning?
It should be an easy job, it’s short and doesn’t overhang the house.

1 Like

@jeffbob?

is it fruitless? mine in the backyard has provided over a decade of purple stains to my carpet and kids!

in all seriousness i enjoy eating them, but they can BE a pain in the backside when you have four dogs tracking in purple bombs.

1 Like

It is fruitless, and it’s nearly dead, so it needs to come down sometime between now and the fall.

I don’t have a time line, I’d just like to get the stump ground out so the ground can settle through the following year and I can get something else planted in the next few years.

I do think it will turn nice, it’s got lots of natural features since it was never trimmed to be “tree” shaped

my $0.02 advice… use a pole saw to cut the high limbs, then cut the bigger limbs and base, but leave a foot or so tall stump. and then let the business come to you to do the stump grind. those guys are on the prowl every spring, and there is no comparison to having the right tool for the job. I’ve got a short arm 2 cycle gas chainsaw but I would think another member probably has a larger one.

1 Like

Have chainsaw will travel if need be :slight_smile:

3 Likes

i had to look it up, when I was a kid we were mistakenly told these were crabapples, and I was thinking how in the heck>?!!

" Image result for horse apple
www.amazon.com

Maclura pomifera has been known by a variety of common names in addition to Osage orange, including hedge apple , horse apple , bois d’arc, bodark, monkey ball, bow-wood, yellow-wood and mock orange."

I don’t need the wood, but if you are on the east side of the Metroplex (especially the NE side up towards McKinney), I can come over and cut it down/cut it up for you this weekend.

Unless there are overhanging wires/other complications out of frame, it doesn’t look like much of a problem to bring down. Looks to me that the smaller branches can all be reached from ground level.

I concur with Doug’s recommendation to leave the stump to be ground professionally. If you want to try to remove the stump yourself, leave 3+ feet of the trunk intact, dig/axe out the roots, and pull it over with a vehicle or come-a-long to access the lower roots.

Slowest (but cheapest) method is to cut it off at/just below ground level, drill several 1" holes as deep as you can into it and dump in some stump remover like “Stump-Out” to rot it away more quickly, though it’ll still take months.

Grinding is easier/faster.

PM me to coordinate if you’d like some help.

1 Like

I’ll be glad to help. Starting the 20th I’m out of town for 2-3 weeks… Let me know.

Looks like I will need to get a lot of burgers on the grill and a lot of beer for the day we do it!

I live in carrollton about 15 minutes from DMS.

How does next weekend work for everyone?

I used to work for scotts lawn service poisoning lawns, one of the nice things about working 70+ hours a week in the summer was raiding customers trees that never touched the bounty. On the other hand, I really used to hate the one that was right next to the side stairs and driveway of my parents house in LITH IL. if someone (usually me for ~20 years, even after I moved out) didn’t keep up on the sweeping they started to ferment and stink of nasty rotting booze quickly.

I can come lend a hand Sunday afternoon.

Or you can drill a bunch of holes and pound in some oyster or lion’s mane mushroom mycelium dowels. they will take years to fully colonize and consume the stump, but you’ll get hundreds of pounds of tasty gourmet mushrooms during that time. You could also nocc up some of the logs.

1 Like

How can i help… im going to say it! would love to have a slice, yea trying to not say log io, if you have any left, at least 8+inch around uuuuuu . Go ahead laugh! I sit here 5 min trying to figure out how to word this🤦‍♀️

1 Like