Motorcycle Teardown & Rebuild

Hi all, I have an '03 Kawasaki Vulcan that wasn’t well maintained by the first owner and has some mechanical and cosmetic issues. I am interested in tearing it down to the frame, then putting it back together while repairing/replacing any rusty parts, rotten rubber, etc.

I need some help figuring out logistics for this project, specifically tools and storage. Do we have a motorcycle jack, dolly, swingarm stand, etc.? I have not seen any of these if we do. The storage is the part that concerns me the most - this may take some time and I’m trying to determine what my options are for leaving components overnight.

Any advice you can give would be appreciated! Thanks!

1 Like

You’ll want to use Project Storage for overnight/weekly storage of your project. The relevant information can be found here:

https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/Logistics_Committee#Project_Storage

1 Like

Thanks! I have read the basic storage rules before but I’m unsure how to classify my project. I should have asked more specifically what my options would be if I have half an assembled motorcycle… would that be floor storage, or do you think it would fit in pallet storage?

If you take off the body plastic/metals and don’t have the tires on it, I suspect it would fit in the pallet storage area, but you’d have to check with a tape.

1 Like

Thanks Zach, makes sense, I guess I won’t know for sure until I get started. I’m sure I can make it work somehow.

Also, would you happen to know about the tools available? Like a motorcycle jack or swingarm stand? I haven’t seen them when I’ve been working on my car, but wanted to see if someone knew something I didn’t :slight_smile:

Paging @Brandon_Green to chime in on tools and logistics storage help :slight_smile:

If it can fit on a 40 inch x 48 inch pallet it can follow normal project storage rules. Otherwise it needs special clearance through emailing logistics and getting approval.

There is an old poor quality motorcycle jack with all the jacks in auto

2 Likes

Who here has experience with removing bearings?

There are 2 needle bearings that are stuck in my rear swing arm, and I need to get the bearings out before I have the swing arm and frame powder coated. Nothing is working! First I tried a punch & hammer, tapping around the edge of the bearing in a circle. When that didn’t work, I bought a slide hammer & bearing extractor set, which didn’t work either. I have also tried heating the tube to expand the metal and release the bearings.

Any advice?

Are you positive that there is not a snap ring holding them in?

Great question. I’m almost positive there are no snap rings. The service manual does not mention it, and I am not able to see one.

Is this the kind of thing in question?

1 Like

Essentially yes, and this video will actually come in handy when I service the rocker arm and tie rod. Thank you for sharing!

Unfortunately my swing arm is too big to fit in a clamp like that. Instead of it being “fork shaped” like the one in the video, it’s a tube straight across. Also the method for removing the bearings seems to require getting at least one bearing out first.

Hi I’ll help u do this job in return for the free knowledge & experience! Hell beers food on me if that’s what it takes.

I’ve an old 86 Yamaha virago that’s been collecting cobwebs for 15 yrs.

OOOOOO.
forgot about this.
Wondering if OP got his repaired.
Also wondering if this is what we’re looking to repair

based on that image, if it’s correct, it DOES appear there’s at least 1 snap ring on the right side…

What image? It shows broken here… but it does link to the page so I did a screen cap of that page. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Huh.
That’s annoying. It looked fine on the other computer where I posted it…
Anyway, thank you for the cap.
I have commandeered and appropriated it into my prior post, mostly to avoid broken links.
:slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey all, sorry for the late reply. The swingarm is for an '03 VN800, not a Ninja. They look different and there is no snap ring on the Vulcan.

I ended up having to pay a shop to get the bearings out. Not an issue. Hopefully I can figure out an effective way to press new bearings back in.

The frame and swingarm are now powdercoated high-gloss black. Once I paint the fenders and tank and order some replacement parts the whole thing will be ready to reassemble.

1 Like

This should be far easier. If you need to, heat up the swing arm to expand the openings and then press the bearings in quickly.

1 Like

Also/alternately freeze the new bearings and pull them out of the freezer just in time to press them in. Helps more than you’d think.

2 Likes

Waterfoul:

When are you thinking / planning of doing the bearing install?
Just curious because if the “planets align” I have a box of old bushing/bearing drivers/cups/sleeves from snap on at home that may (or may not) help in setting up your swingarm to install the bearings…

2 Likes