Most popular programming languages 1965 - 2022

I started programming Fortran and assembly languages in 1968 and moved through a number of languages as they came and went. I am currently teaching teenagers Python so it looks like we are on the right track.

4 Likes

This was an awesome video. I have written code in many of the different languages. I graduated from Baylor in 1979 with a math/computer science degree. Baylor didn’t have an engineering degree at the time
We learned mostly Fortran, Cobol, Algol and Assembly all on big computers, with minuscule processing power compared to today.

What an amazing visual of programming. Now most of the programming I do is in IOT and it is in Python.
Thanks for posting this.

So many languages. I wonder what is next? Will ChatGPT be writing code for us?

3 Likes

S360/370 anyone? :grinning:

2 Likes

Xerox Sigma 9
DEC PDP

3 Likes

Haaa you joke, but I actually have GitHub Copilot on my IntelliJ and VSCode which is getting to the stackoverflow level of need lol they did just come come out with a ChatGPT part of it, but I haven’t tried, can’t see it being super amazing for anything but scaffolding/boilerplate but should be fun to mess with

2 Likes

Worked for the city of dallas in the early 80s and we wrote everything in 360/370 assembly code

4 Likes

Just out of curiosity, what statistics is this based on? Lines of code or programs written per quarter? Lines of code or programs in existence or current use per quarter? Or what? Thanks for sharing. I feel very dinosaurous now.

2 Likes

I posted my story awhile back:

2 Likes

I had the same question…Here’s what the description has to say:

“Aggregation of multiple national surveys plus a world wide publications rate of occurrence. Popularity is defined by percentage of programmers with either proficiency in specific language or currently learning/mastering one.”
I’m not sure what “world wide publications rate of occurrence” means (how many subscribers to PHP Monthly there are/were?), but the rest of it, “multiple national surveys”.

1 Like

2 Likes

ChatAI Python coding
Take this which is my daily food record
2023-02-28;
(8), Cheerios,milk, banana,(15), Chips Ahoy 2, (17),dark chocolate square, (19), Popeyes chicken, coleslaw, biscuit, DP, water, cake 1/2, (21), cake 1/2,

First I got this from dictated text description [" each data item has a date ending in a semicolon on a line by itself, followed by a line containing an hour of the day in parenthesis and then several food items separated by commas. redo to single line items of date hour of the day and the food items"]
2023-02-28 (8) Cheerios,milk, banana
2023-02-28 (15) Chips Ahoy 2
2023-02-28 (17) dark chocolate square
2023-02-28 (19) Popeyes chicken, coleslaw, biscuit, DP, water, cake 1/2
2023-02-28 (21) cake 1/2
Which is similar but not identical to a format I use for health records daily.
So I asked it, after experimenting with a couple of other formats, to change to the exact format that I use in my daily health record: [" Put a semicolon after the date and after the time, and change the time format to remove the parentheses and add :00"]
giving this:
2023-02-28;08:00;Cheerios
2023-02-28;15:00;Chips Ahoy 2
2023-02-28;17:00;dark chocolate square
2023-02-28;19:00;Popeyes chicken
2023-02-28;19:00;coleslaw
2023-02-28;19:00;biscuit
2023-02-28;19:00;DP
2023-02-28;19:00;water
2023-02-28;19:00;cake 1/2
2023-02-28;21:00;cake 1/2
But this contains an error, can you spot it?
–At the very beginning after Cheerios, milk and banana are missing.
When I pointed this out to chat AI, they said that my initial code was simpler. I then responded that the initial code we were working with was ChatAI’s and I asked whether the fact that in most cases there was a space after a comma, but not after Cheerios. ChatAI apologized and produced revised code that fixed it. Also want to tone it out in comments explaining what the various lines did!

On the other hand when I interactively asked it to find what southern city I lived in based in from several clues, or to find a regional park near an interstate and a large lake, or to define the difference between the north shore and the south shore of a lake I used to live on, it had a whole lot more problems and did not produce correct answers.

1 Like