MOS 6510 PC Build

@artg_dms Art, is that programmer gone or just well hidden?

I have a Data I/O 2900 (@Fred_Miller is an awesome guy! ) and a Wellon VP-390. These cover all the devices that I currently want to program, but I am missing the 44-PLCC sled and matchbox for the 2900. There are some on eBay floating by, but nothing in my price range just yet.

(edit: I also have a couple of Stag programmers which I have not verified as working ā€“ again, these were courtesy Fredā€™s warehouse.)

2 Likes

It was a BP Microsystems Programmer. It sat on the shelf for 2 years unused. I gave Rich Meyer permission to sell it on Ebay. It sold for $200.00 which went to the committee.

I have a Stag Stratos MOS Prom Programmer module. Looks like it can handle 24, 28, 32 pin ics. One of the last items I ā€œrescuedā€ form Fredā€™s. If youā€™re interested Iā€™ll bring it in.

Art, it looks like you, Zach and I have been all collecting device programmers from Fredā€™s. I have three different Data I/O units and several other ones which plug into ports of PCs. No idea which work. I did not get a UV EPROM eraser, so I am inclined to use flash memory chips.

@zmetzing Zach, I picked up a bunch of Data I/O socket adapters and personality modules and may have what you are missing for the 2900.

Just got several original MOS 6510 and 6522 chips came in yesterday. Still have a few more coming from a couple other auctions.

Though I still need to figure out the RAM potion then the serial lines. Then I might need some help figure out the best way to set up things in verilog to test the design.

Ooooh. Thatā€™d be super nice if you happen to have a 2900-29BASE-0202 and a 615-1536-020. I have a boatload of old MACHxxx chips which need this PLCC setup for the 2900.

No interlock, no timer, but this is what I use:

I added some foam around the obvious cracks, and I wear yellow UV-blocking glasses when it is on.

Somebody left a small UV EPROM eraser in the ELab. Let me know if you need it.

1 Like

Those are nice programmers. I had an Autosite long ago, and enjoyed using it. Itā€™s the same as the 3900, but split into separate boxes for the CPU and pin drivers. I had recently moved to Dallas form super-humid Houston, and didnā€™t yet believe in ESD damage, and killed one driver board, turning it into the equivalent of a 2900. Still worked for my needs.

You should check out the Data I/O Yahoo Group, which has now metastasized to a Groups.io DATA I/O group. Between the files sections for both groups, you should be able to locate the unifamily software (v8, I think) if your programmer came without hard drive or floppies. Come to think of it, you can find plans (including Gerbers and schematics) for a DIY mass storage upgrade in those groups as well.

It is really too bad that the BP Microsystems programmer was sold. I have several of these for different devices - PALs, PROMs, and EPROMs. The software runs on XP and is very intuitive. This is my goto programmer set for legacy devices. If anyone needs any device programmed I can accommodate this.

Yes, itā€™s a shame. I canā€™t believe it only got $200. It had a boatload of adapters. Just one of those adaptersā€“an SM84UP universal PLCC adapterā€“by itself recently sold for $250 on eBay.

1 Like

I have a nice, small Spectroline PE-140T eraser for sale on my table here at the Pinball Festival.

I have it tagged at $75, but would go $60 for a DMS member.

Itā€™s not Chineseā€¦ and itā€™s not cracked. :slight_smile: