More PCB Router Repair

Check out the wiki page of TODO items. We already have a front panel USB-B connector installed in the case :slight_smile:

CNC PCB Router Sable 2013 : To Do List

Cable Chains X & Y are installed

4 Likes

Excellent work. I’ve received the remaining hardware pieces for the case. I’ll have the case done this week.

3 Likes

Finished Connectors/ Added Vacuum Debris Manifold.

The pin assignments are noted inside the Controller Box.

Very nice. Still working on a time slot to finish up the case. Work has been a little crazy this week and I took the time to do a debian stretch OS install after I lost the hard disk on my home mail server. It might be Sunday before I get back up there with the parts to finish.

1 Like

Vacuum Bed

Thinking out loud:

The easiest way to get an accurate Z-axis distance from the bit-to-board, would be to actually cut the particle board Bed Cover with the Router.

Then, to conform the 1-sided or 2-sided Copper Bd. to that bed; we might want to cut some vacuum channels into the bed during the same run.

Then, when you mount a Bd. to the bed, just Duct Tape over the open channels. It will all be good, so long as you don’t drill the Thru Holes first. I figure that 600 mBarr of vacuum will push the Bd flat with 8 lbs / in^2 of force.

A typical turbine creates 800 mBarr, so maybe a Low Pressure Check Valve T-Joint between the Bed and Debris Vacuum Cowl, with maybe a Venturi Aperture to keep the valve from fluttering. These valve are cheap from Grainger, and provide an elegant solution.

Hey Mike,

No worries, take your time. Just make sure you send me an invite for the 1st run of Chili Pepper and initial alignments. If I get some (more) spare time, I’ll hit a few items on your Sable List.

Cheers, Russell

Please don’t. You’ve covered everything on the gantry list and then some. The remaining items on the Sable List are for the Enclosure Fabrication and Cabling. I’ve spent a lot of time spec’ing and procuring the items for inside the case. Please don’t wast that investment. I promise to have this finished Sunday. I’d finish it Friday if I wasn’t gong to Austin for my sister-n-law’s memorial on Friday.

I greatly appreciate you jumping in to work on the gantry components. That was gong to be a big blind spot for me and I know you have a great background in CNC machining. I’ll also appreciate a lot of help with the software side once we get the electronics cabled up. With any luck we will get this project finished in the next week.

We need to pull the spindle power cable out of the Multi-pin connector. That connector is rated for < 1A. In addition that motor is high voltage (i.e. > 50V nominal) and will need an earth ground. I have a 3 pin connector I’m mounting on the case tonight. We need a 18 GA or bigger, 3 conductor wire for this. If there is nothing suitable in the lab, I’ll bring some from home.

Once I get all done with the case I’d be happy to rework the spindle power if you don’t want to mess with it.

Let me extend my sincere sympathies to your Family, Mike. Our prayers are with you and yours.

Power for the Router Motor is now on the new connector, polarity should be correct.

1 Like

Thanks. I made a lot of progress last Sunday but still need one more workday to finish up the case. Work was crazy last week but will be much less this week. Should be ready for a test drive this week. Has anyone downloaded and tried a full tool chain? Schematic capture, pcb layout, gerber to gcode (eg flatcam), gcode cam (eg bcnc, chilipepper, etc.)? That’s the final step.

All the hardware is complete and 120v side all wired. Just a few things left to do.

• new longer wires for potentiometer
  • add heat shrink to spindle wires, resolder
  • wire the stepper connectors to the tinyg
  • wire the limit switch connector to the tinyg
  • install appropriate fuses
5 Likes

All ready. Smoke test complete. Just need to figure out which cable goes to X Y and Z axis.

1 Like

Did some simple g-code move commands just to see if wiring is correct. I did not modify any of the tinyg configuration; there are already a few setting that are not default. The current config is:
Motor 1: y-axis
Motor 2: x-axis
Motor 3: z-axis

Looking at the back of the chassis the connectors are

limits z-axis(blue) y-axis(black) z-axis (red) spindle

I did not try setting up the limit switches.

I could not get the y-axis to spin; it makes noise like it is spinning but does not turn. It might need to have the current limit adjusted on the tinyg. I didn’t feel confident to try this myself. I suspect we need to go through the current limit setup on this page:

Well did you let the smoke out?

1 Like

Fortunately no. I did a continuity test and then powered it up in stages, checking voltages along the way. So actual smoke letting was unlikely.

1 Like

I seem to recall that when we were first testing it, the Y axis coupler was loose hence the stepper would spin but not actually move.

Good call. Just needed a little tightening.

Axies are configured. Homing switches are working. I had to change out the y-axis optocupler. It would only pull the input down to 2.4v. After replacement it is 0.6v. We just need a vacuum and some time with the software.

2 Likes