More Money More Instruction

I gave you Digital Media, the Metaza impact printer, and the printing press. I told you I would not list others because it will cause hard feelings.

PS I didn’t see your new electronics microscope you mentioned on the tools list.

No, it and several other recently acquired test gear are not on there - yet. Updating the tool wiki is not what I would call a “time efficient” process. It will get done. Anything else??

1 Like

Let me put some of these actions into an alternate light. I know nothing about Digital Media, but I know a few things about CA.

Frequently things are acquired inexpensively as used equipment - without any specific users or uses in mind but because the equipment is a bargain and might be useful to the general members. Fortunately, one or two members step up and learn about it. They voluntarily become the trainers for it and we discover whether the tool is useful. It’s an experiment but in general the track record is pretty good because our makers are so diverse.

The Metaza is such an example. The two people (one primary) who train on it knew nothing about it or whether it was interesting before we got it. It certainly wasn’t acquired with them in mind, but they stepped up to learn it and train on it. FWIW, there were two Metaza classes in August and one in September.

Ownership is a good thing. Someone has to take “ownership” in order to develop and provide training, acquire supplies, maintain it - and yes - clean it up following people who think Mommy works here. It may be difficult to find the right balance of ownership, but too much is better than too little. Too much ownership and access may be less than desired. But too little ownership and the resource can’t exist at all.

12 Likes

If you can give me the name/model number of the microscope, I will hunt down a picture and put it into the tools wiki (primary list). Ditto for the test equipment.

4 Likes

Instead of complaining, feel free to add it yourself… Might make you feel good to do something constructive.

3 Likes

…As I suggested in the post. It’s not personal. But it is real. Sorry that any attempt to move past the status quo meets this kind of resistance.

Any new members reading: You aren’t alone.

I apologize about the Metaza being included then. Indeed August was a good month for training for that machine. Fingers crossed it continues.

And yes. Balance is a DMS challenge.

How are you attempting to move past the status quo? As has been repeated ad nauseum, if you see something you think should be done, like add the microscope to the wiki, then by all means do it. Expecting someone else to volunteer their time to service something you believe is a need is the actual problem. You continually act like a consumer of DMS, not a member. Perhaps those of us in electronics just haven’t felt the need to add the tool to the list yet. I can assure you I don’t see it as a critical issue, but if you do, then simply do it. Don’t complain because someone else doesn’t think your concern is worth their time.

The same goes for training on tools. We are constantly asking for people to do training. I know I have personally taught at least three classes that were only for people who were agreeing to teach classes. To date that has produced less then 10% success in having even one class taught by those folks. Is it any wonder many of us teachers are tired of people complaining they can’t get a class they want? Again, it is the difference between a customer and a member.

2 Likes

Hey, at least we can agree on ad nauseam.

From another real member that teaches:
A W-9 is required only if you personally take an honorarium. If you designate “no honorarium”, or allot the entire honorarium to a committee, no W-9 is required. All committees will be glad to accept the honorarium.

Once again the simple fact is that you failed miserably by not “reading” the info on the website regarding teaching/honorariums.

8 Likes

Thought I sent a PM. Thanks.

7 Likes

I miss being able to post emoji on the posts…:laughing::laughing::laughing:

4 Likes