More Money More Instruction

I know, dear. Questions are super bad.

If you feel like it’s important ask her when she’s back from service. She will answer or she won’t. I suppose if you think it’s necessary the masses know and she doesn’t tell then if you ever become chair you can make that your first order of business.
7e4

2 Likes

I find it rather disconcerting that the issue is your issue, yet you want to keep the resolution secret. It must be really bad.

Alas you won’t find out anytime soon since it’s not any of your business

2 Likes

Yeah I know the great printer mystery of 2017 is really keeping me awake.

4 Likes

And this, the DMS is that is so fond of public shaming via camera footage.

I disagree that it’s not member-worthy info though. We all make mistakes. I think it’s important to understand which one’s we’re expected to cover financially and which ones the committee will take care of for us. Unless, of course, we aren’t all treated the same.

Who Left The Mess in Woodshop is a best seller when you finish reading that one. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: I hear we are in talks with Fox for the movie rights to the Parking Poorly saga.

3 Likes

As the saying goes prepare for the worst and pray for best. Expect to pay for all of your mistakes and if the committee covers one you can be fabulously overwhelmed with joy at your good fortune and get a snowcone.

1 Like

And that, folks is how we address the issue of classes at the maker space.

1 Like

It did go all over the place, didn’t it?

I still like the idea of labs where trained people are available to facilitate an untrained make.

I also looked at the minutes: https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/Board_of_Directors_Meeting_20170825

Alex Rhodes proposal is found if you search “assign tools a rating” and then the item is 5.15 in the minutes, which passed. Also very interesting are two other proposals on the matter numbered 5.10 and 5.11. Very specific ideas.

In the meantime, I updated my Talk profile to include the tools I’m cleared on. It might mean that someone can ask me for help on those when I’m back in October. While I can’t train another member (And how can we talk all around the training the trainers issue but never quite figure it out?), I can manage small projects side-by-side at my discretion. Really, sometimes, all a person needs is one tiny part of their make from an unfamiliar machine or area.

Thank you for pulling us back on task. @lukeiamyourfather has outlined a real concern and a potential solution.

I apologize for my part in moving the topic astray.

I’m working on some proposals for the board/Bill that I do think will help entice more members to become teachers and create a positive incentive system so they stay teachers. We have room to improve that aspect. The online content I think will help bunches but it is a herculean effort so I know it’ll take time. Sept, February, and April are just my crazy months at work so I don’t have much time to go to the space much less help implement the grand plan if it’s adopted. It’s on hold alongside the world record googly eye project.

Can we close this since it is so far off topic

1 Like

One more thing! Kidding. Yes, thanks.

You probably need to tag @John_Marlow to get what you want done.

I have been thinking about you…is hubby still mending well? This could be a fun challenge until it does close. Like HOW far off topic CAN we get? Non-sequitur is the spice of life (and as an adult with ADHD also a personal reality) You should come do an artist talk with my Jewelry kids…one of them has a deep passion for turtles (not that you have strong turtle feelings one way or the other). Ok ok I’ll stay on topic. :grin:

Marlow when you see this as you close it here’s your shout out for that Sew Arts class. We’ve been using photoshop to trick the free version into making us what we need. I’ll report back when it’s been tested properly

1 Like

Please don’t…

I was considering splitting the other stuff out a couple of hours ago, then somehow y’all got back on track so I went on with my day. Chris and I really have better things to do then remind adults to stay on topic. :wink:

As to the actual topic of this thread… Carry on or let 'er fade away… :slight_smile:

6 Likes

For me it’s hard to find the time. Between corporate work, home, family, my arcade business, and making things, it’s hard to find time to teach. It’s hard to juggle everything and volunteering at the space and still find time to build slides for classes, pull materials and props together, and get it all on the schedule.

If anyone needs help with formally creating slides or lab guides, I’ve done plenty of that for the day job the last 17 years.

2 Likes

While you may not be teaching you are an active volunteer in Logistics. That is still a major contribution to making the Space function well and works with your schedule. Don’t feel bad that you can’t teach - your work is greatly appreciated (well there may be a few that have had the stuff off-sited that don’t fully appreciate your efforts).

Thanks for your contribution of time and effort - it’s important and you are contributing to our success. There are lots of opportunities for members to volunteer/contribute.

8 Likes

I spent an hour or so this morning going through the events calendar (signed up for 3 classes!) and also the comments I have access to on Talk (Not a member right now. Much of it is restricted.) to determine where the most common disconnects are in training.

The one area I see consistently scheduled is laser. Huzzah! Woodshop is the area most requested, and there are classes, but they aren’t always easy to anticipate.

The one piece of equipment I see most requested is the car lift. Makes sense. It’s expensive and dangerous.

I’m wondering if the matrix that @AlexRhodes is working up will show how the more dangerous or more expensive the piece of equipment, the fewer training sessions are held.

I AM ABOUT TO PUT WORDS TO AN UNPOPULAR OPINION HERE. GIRD YOUR EMOTIONS UNTIL YOU THINK IT THROUGH, PLEASE.

In the last year, I have watched some pieces of DMS equipment be burdened with what I will explain is a sense of ownership. While the equipment might not be over $1,000 or very dangerous, it was acquired with a very limited number of users in mind. One or two of those users become the trainer for that piece of equipment - and a bottleneck develops in allowing either more users to be trained or more trainers to be trained. The equipment is allowed to be used rather privately.

Every time this bottleneck problem is articulated by a new member, mayhem ensues.

For some of the equipment, it becomes nearly invisible to any members who are not trained. We have lots of equipment I’d put into this category. Almost anything locked in Digital Media. The Metaza impact printer. My personal favorite, the printing press that’s been in CA for a while now. I don’t know of one project that’s come from that equipment. (I’d give other examples, but they are coveted items and I know it will create hard feelings, so I’m not going to do it.)

OTOH, a couple of people picked up with screen printing, and that equipment is used. It’s not very dangerous. No one component is that expensive (except maybe the exposure bed) - but training is required. And in this case, that’s ok, because someone is graciously making lots of training available.

END OF CONTROVERSIAL STATEMENT.

Another thing I thought of regarding @lukeiamyourfather 's idea - would it be a burden to those trying to use the woodshop if paid classes were held there more than once a week in the evenings? I know the afternoon I trained, we were in the way of folks trying to manage their makes.

I guess that observation makes me realize this is going to be a delicate balance. I do think it’s time to really put class scheduling to the test, though. Removing training requirements for some tools even if they are favorites to one or two members. Every tool on a rotation. A common calendar with expected class times in the wiki. Those two items came up at the last board meeting, but weren’t really discussed according to the minutes that I read.

But, it looks like any change is 180 days out. That’s six months. Any chance of bringing the changes forward sooner?

You love to make such general statements. Perhaps you would care to provide several examples?

2 Likes