More Automotive Bays w/ Lifts!

1. As a professional rigger, nobody is going to pop a winch cable. Load is not equal to vehicle weight on the ramp. Assuming a 20% grade, a winch rated for 3 tons will happily haul a 15 ton vehicle up the ramp. The cable itself will have a safety factor and be able to handle even more weight.
2 Likes

Any rigging company’s I know?
Able, DFW machinery Movers, Crocker or MEI ?

More fork lifts, doing some supervision this weekend.

1 Like

Nope. Primarily rope access these days, but I’m still a licensed rigger in NY.

3 Likes

Our lease prohibits parking vehicles in the building.

1 Like

If that is the only metric I wouldn’t disagree, but what metric would you use? Would you let that metric influence a decision? At what point does a large space allocation for a single item become a disproportionate share of resources? I don’t have an answer and would like to hear other thoughts. Love it / hate it isn’t enough … need suggestions of other measurable items to include in the decision.

1 Like

Man. Totally shattering my (continued de)illusion that this screen name hides a Grand National owner…

4 Likes

In this case, your reply brings up more questions than it answers. What does the exact language say? (stipulations on running vs not, those being worked on… etc. Toss me a link.)

I am not contesting that it doesn’t say that “vehicles cannot be stored” BUT what does the lease say about “stored”? (What does stored mean in this context? Does it mean that “cannot be parked for over a set time” or “cannot be parked at all”? If it means a set time, What is the time frame?)

1 Like

Just reading thru all this info on automotive lifts, etc. I would suggest as a possible option and if it is legal/allowed, we should consider an additional outdoor lift. It could be used for longer jobs and no ramp to make un-powered cars difficult to push on/off. As to the weather, it is what it is, I have fixed many a car outdoors and all lifts I have had before were in unconditioned space. Shade or covering for it would be nice, but not absolutely required. Just brainstorming another possible option.

1 Like

Definitely not even remotely allowed per our lease.

3 Likes

I can envision a plausible scenario where an outdoor lift might be allowed - a mobile lift that lives indoors when it’s not in use. Suspect that getting such a beast up and down the ramp would reacquire considerable effort.

some “lifts” are portableish…

Agree that would be nice to be able to do, especially for tall vehicles, problem is most lifts are bolted to the ground for stability and safety.

The mobile lift is a well-established product genre:

The variety I imagine we’d be interested in is either the pallet jack-esque flavor or the very low-profile scissor lift variety.

2 Likes

If we are going to dream, I’d like to throw this out there.

3 Likes

Leases are negotiable documents. The closer to renewal or expansion time, the more negotiable they are. (-;

2 Likes
3 Likes

They are less negotiable when you have a split lease. Current lease has about 15 months to go, the other lease will be an add-on to current lease.

I don’t think this is a negotiable item as it fronts anther business(es). We’d better served providing expanded space to our members climate controlled work area that is near the tools. Next door has one advantage over the 104: ceiling clearance isn’t a problem.

2 Likes

Erik,

I have a mid rise scissor at home made in the USA by Mohawk (sold by Snap On (and others)) - yes the pump unit is on wheels with a hook and the lift unit has rollers - but…the lift unit weighs about 600+? pounds so moving it up the ramp may prove interesting at best. It could be quietly left under a vehicle out of sight if one were to modify the hydraulic hose with aircraft style dripless quick couplers(mine was about $75 for the pair with a 25ft hose) - so that the pump unit may be disconnected and moved indoors to prevent theft and / or the overly curious.

5 Likes

This is the the same model lift I have at home - this is not my photo though.mohawk lift

There are some that “believe” that all things are made the “same” and that some are just priced “higher” due to a name brand…
A vehicle lift is one of those pieces of equipment where quality and safety is paramount & I’m not willing to risk my life or the lives of others on lesser quality poorly made gear that is going to raise a vehicle a few to several feet in the air to save money.

4 Likes

When I was a child in the 50s the dad of one of my friends was killed by a car falling off a lift

I think that is one reason I never could get under my car to do anything, I got far too nevouse
and this was with jack stands but my driveway is not flat