More Automotive Bays w/ Lifts!

I would imagine this is a version of the lease approved before we got Automotive in… as it prohibits any vehicle inside the building. Exhibit D #9

1 Like

Yes, we have an exception now.

1 Like

That would be what we’d need the text of, I’d imagine, to figure out the landlord’s line between parking for maintenance purposes and storage.

1 Like

Is there a fee for tying up a table for a glue-up?

If we start nickel and diming people who come in and their project takes longer than expected, there goes the membership. I know I’d abandon automotive entirely at that point, just on principle. Any time money gets tied into this kind of thing, it gives me the sense that “if you can afford the consequences, you can do whatever you want.” Not to mention the safety concerns when you rush people because their wallet is on the clock.

I remain a fan of only allowing vehicles to remain overnight if they’re a) being actively worked on the whole time or b) approved by committee leadership for safety concerns. Pay to Play doesn’t sit right with me.

3 Likes

No fee, it’s not specifically allowed, it’s not specifically unallowed.

2 Likes

That’s my point. Seems like it’d be generally covered under the “be excellent” rule. Put a sign on, state your intentions. Glue takes time to cure, just be reasonable.

Cars don’t have 24-hour glue, and the stuff that leaves them in the bay is unexpected hang-ups. I don’t think we should have a clear path for people to pay their way into tying up 300sqft of bay space for convenience alone, because that’s where it’ll end up down the line.

1 Like

Another benefit of having a forklift, you can easily move a car outside.

4 Likes

And here I would have settled for a winch to pull stuff up the ramp.

1 Like

Shortly after purchase:

</off topic>

5 Likes

you can do better than that Luke - post the clip where the forklift has a rider on the back, forklift tilts up like in your photo above, rider falls off and under…gravity takes over and rider is …

2 Likes

Gotta love forklift operator shenanigans…

2 Likes

Most of these are easily resolved by not buying two forklifts.

3 Likes

A couple of those forklift lifts are legitimate.

2 Likes

But a rental storage place does not have a lift and tools nor air conditioning. The issue is being able to do bigger repairs in a comfortable and equipped setting.

1 Like

See above.

How dare there be a 20-character minimum when I’m already quoting more than 20 characters.

1 Like

But if we have enough bays to where a certain number can be allocated as “tie-up-able” with a (not-insignificant) fee associated, and there are still sufficient bays outside of that (specifically designated “non-tie-up-able”) to accommodate the 80% case of member demand, then it becomes all primarily upside for both members and the 'Space.

I only envision one or two at a maximum of those “rentable” spaces – as has been said, we don’t want to become DMS Auto Storage, and I agree with that and think that is a very straightforward controllable thing that can be done by limiting a) the number of spaces available to do so and b) the maximum number of consecutive weeks a vehicle can do so (perhaps being only 1, is my first instinct – aka it is nonrenewable).

1 Like

I suggested that a couple of years ago. When someone put in my head the thought of what exactly would happen the first time that winch cable snapped, I quickly saw why it was perhaps not the best idea and retracted the suggestion. Wouldn’t be pretty.

2 Likes

We need a tug instead of a winch so we could move anything here easily if it rolled. Trailer, cars, whatever.

2 Likes

At present we only have 2 bays. There’s no promise we’re getting more. If we do, it’ll probably be a maximum of 4. No chance I’m gonna think it’s a good idea to tie up half that space.

As for winch cables, put it in a place it won’t rub on the ground and get a cable rated for 12, 15, or 18,000lbs while respecting the 6,000lb lift limit. If you manage to snap that with those constraints, you deserve it.

I’d be down for a tug though.

1 Like

I have a few thoughts that may or may not be valid, but hey, THIS IS THE INTERNET!!!

1. The lift and automotive space was a huge factor in me joining the makerspace. I don’t think its value is a matter of utilization alone. It’s valuable for maintenance, sure, but it’s what projects it inspires me to take on that justify its space and hopefully even more at some point.

2. I see some thoughts on what the makerspace should be and whether automotive even fits in. I think this is faulty reasoning. Yes, it’s called a “makerspace” and it’s easy to get hung up on the semantics of whether things are being made or not. Ultimately, the makerspace means something different to every one of us. That’s ok! Within reason, the more things we can be, the more diverse our community will likely become. I’m for that.

3. Not every project requires the same amount of investment in tools and space. The pinball group may represent a small number of members, but their projects simply need more space than a 3D printer. The HAAS machine doesn’t seem to be used a large percentage of the time, but what an incredible resource to make accessible to all of us. The current automotive space seems to be inadequate. I don’t think this needs to be a statistically driven decision.

1 Like