Mold making for casting jewelry - Interest check

I’m interested in demo or class

Add me to interested list, please!

The class has posted for Saturday August 12th at 1pm.

4 Likes

I’m signed up!

15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 characters.

Darn, can’t make this one either! I’ll watch for the next!

I put up a new class for next Saturday, jump on it!

1 Like

:frowning: I can’t make next Saturday! grrrrrr.

Is this using the LiquiFast Ice RTV?

May want to consider allowing pewter. Most alloys are lead free, melt at much lower temperatures, do not outgass any toxic substances, and are much easier to learn with. Not to mention less costly (though about the same price as Bronze).

@MossAgate was referring to casting at high temperatures and using DMS JSM crucibles. We already allow casting low temperature metals such as pewter. I just cast zinc last night, but at low temperature and in my own melting pot. We’d probably also allow aluminum in your own equipment but I’d have to check with the JSM chair to make sure of that.

For aluminum, the foundry and crucible for that are currently in the Black-smithing trailer. Might be a bit big for jewelry purposes, but we already own a crucible that’s been used for aluminum. And, frankly, it looked a bit small for making really big stuff anyway. After chatting with Walter about it, I’ve been wondering if we could just ask blacksmithing to make better tongs for it. I was going to say I’d keep an eye out for them, but I’m out of weekends for the next couple of months. Fired Arts could pay for metal…

1 Like