Model railroading

Is there a model railroading contingent at the space? I have a casual interest, but I have family members who are very much interested. Mainly HO scale, but all scales in general are interesting.

1 Like

I haven’t seen anything like that in the few months that I’ve been a member, but model trains always are popular wherever they go. Out where I live, in East Plano, the Plano Exhibition Center has featured a large model train event once or twice a year.

I’ve been to that show many times.

I never have, but I drive past the building often, so I see all sorts of events at it throughout the year. I’d like to go to the model train event some time.

My dad used to have a lot of model trains, and he always wanted me to have them, but, for various reasons, that didn’t happen. All I have are a few cars and pieces of track.

http://www.dfwtrainshows.com/content/dallas-area-train-show-january-17-18-2015

1 Like

Thought I would cast a line for this again…has a model railroading contingent developed at the space? It would be cool to design some modular sets, with a ceiling railway that moved through the space…

1 Like

Don’t know about railroad specifically, but @John_Marlow, she’s Queen of Miniatures.

I could see folks maybe even if not interested in the train part specifically, there could be interest in creating tiny scale items to complement, bonus points for over-engineered high-tech solutions for simple things. I could get into that :slight_smile:

I get re-inspired once a year at the Dallas train show in Plano…it’s always awesome to see the displays. A ceiling train around my office is on the list with all the other things I cant get too

2 Likes

There is a model railroad club with a space at Collin Creek mall in Plano.

1 Like

I walked by it during Christmas…they weren’t open when I was there, but they had lots of layouts on display.

Growing up, one of my neighbors, he’d taken over the entire attic of their barn-style house. His train and landscaping was HUGE, every bit as big or bigger than some of those elaborate displays you see. Cool stuff.

It is an all encompassing, lifetime hobby that will take over entire rooms…and retirement account balances…

1 Like

I think members get access to the space after they have been there for 3 or 6 months. They also have someone there twice a week. @steve

I’m actually in the process of making my father an o-guage set. Eventually at some point (sooner rather than later) I’d like to out a G-scale line through my vegetable garden.

@darrent For a garden train how to you protect the rail system from the elements? I assume you pull the cars or put them in a covered part of the yard, but what’s the maintenance like for the track and electrical system?

Haven’t looked much into it. But all electrified rails will need to be cleaned - no idea how often. I hear people have started to move towards battery operated to help alleviate the track maintenance and use wireless communication to control the engine. I’ll likely do the battery/wireless option.

Unless the train were designed to be weather proof, most assuredly they will need to be housed. I know for my first crack at it, I will simply be keeping the trains in the house or garage.

Here’s what you need Darren :smiley:

Steam Powered

5 Likes

Tuesday nights and Sundays we have guys up there. Just come up to the gate and get someone’s attention. They can give you a quick tour/let you look around for a bit. I think we also do an open house on one weekend a month. However, I am still a newer member so I am not sure on that.

You are correct, Mark. I do need that.

Is there a website?