Model of embroidery machine?

What model embroidery machine do we currently have?

According to the wiki it’s a Viking Designer SE Sewing & Embroidery Machine

He is correct. That’s the current machine. I’m currently planning on a class in early-mid June.

2 Likes

Please let me know. I’d like access to this and the Juki.

Not this coming week. Weekend is also full. Aiming for the following week, Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday evening? Which works best for you? Given that the Stars lost tonight…

1 Like

I’m open all next week. Anytime that’s good for y’all.

I’m not in a hurry, just don’t want to miss it.

1 Like

Dayum, that went fast. Next Thursday at 7pm, already full practically as soon as it hit the Calendar.

Do we have digitizing software?

Well, at one point we had SewArt64. I haven’t looked for it recently. I’m pretty sure it was on the computer in Digital Arts. However, they replaced some of those, so I’m not sure it’s still loaded anywhere. Chris Marlow and I were chatting, and for the money, it’s much cheaper to buy a new copy of SewArt64, which is reasonably functional.

That @AmeliaG person has been looking into that somewhat. @Hardsuit is supposed to be checking to see if any of the expensive digitizers will give us a big, fat break. However, I’m up for just buying a new copy of SewArt64 if we need one, and can’t find the old one.

Agree. It’s $75.

They have added some new features but of course it’s not going to be as capable as the more expensive programming software.

1 Like

Yeah, but how many of our members are going to know how to intricately digitize and not have access to their own software?
Was asking because it helps to have something where you can combine already digitized designs.

At the moment we’ve contacted Hatch to see if they have a nonprofit discount. There are a few others that we’ve reached out to as well such as Embird. We’re currently waiting to hear back.

I’ve been learning Ink/Stitch, which is a free extension of InkScape. But the learning curve on it is cliff shaped, and I don’t think it’ll be accessible to those who aren’t already skillful with InkScape.

In the meantime, There are services online that’ll digitize your designs for fairly cheap. As making an embroidery design is a lot more like designing toolpaths for a cnc router than it is like cutting around vector shapes as with a cnc laser.

1 Like

I am thinking of teaching at some point (not digitizing, I buy and combine, that’s it), so just wanted to see where we are at. I personally use embrilliance because the learning curve is pretty low but the price scales pretty high if you want to get the level needed to fully digitize logos and stuff. I have brothers and janome machines at home so would need to get signed off to teach on the viking @dryad2b at some point if possible.

Since the class I Just Put Up filled so quickly, I’ll be doing another in a couple of weeks. Thor will be next, and I need to teach some glass classes.

2 Likes

SewArt64 is definitely not the software for that. This is intended to program from scratch.

Yeah, I have no skills in that area. Im more of a cut and paste type girl! Im thinking of a project class like an embroideted rope bowl/basket.

2 Likes

FWIW, my Viking lets me combine pre-programmed designs without any external software. IDK if this model allows that?

I don’t see why not. It’s not something I’ve wanted to do, but it is one of the relatively advanced machines.

This kind of software is going to be rather expensive because the target is an embroidery shop rather than an individual user.

One of the purposes of a makerspace is to provide access to tools an individual is not likely to have at home. This is a case of that. Many organizations have a need to make apparel or patches incorporating their logo or a special design for an event but do not want to pay to have it done.

A quick search turned up:

1 Like