Mo' Drill Press Help

Following on from Drill Press Help

I’ve not used the drill press for metals before, so I’m looking for guidance on drilling out some 7/16" holes into a piece of sheet metal no thicker than 1/8” thick.

1. I was told to get a Stepped Titanium Drill Bit, and it appears we have one in the drawers by the cordless drills and such. Would this be acceptable?
  2. Where do we have oil/lubricant that I need to put on the metal to reduce heat?
  3. What speed should I set the drill press to?
  4. Anything else I should consider?

I’d like to go do this tonight, in case anyone is available to help. Thanks in advance!

the things you need to know about drills is that the flutes do the cutting. Now having said that, you need to use a center drill (probably a #1 or #2) which cuts the 118 degree recess first. this eliminates the flex in the drill bit when metal meets metal. you cut roughly up to the shoulder of the center drill bit. Someone that might be in the machine shop can show you where they are. use some lubricant (we have wd-40 in our pots in the machine shop). then just drill it.
considering it is a 1/8" thick piece you can probably drill it all the way. ENSURE you have a backing plate/spoil board under your workpiece. On something thicker you would use a peck-drill operation where you drill a bit, retract to release the shaving, add ore oil and continue. Speed wise you DO NOT have to go fast. 800 rpm will suffice. Last consideration - safety glasses. always use safety glasses.

5 Likes

Also on another side of safety. When you use the drill press, do not wear gloves. Secure your work, don’t hold it. If you do the bit can grab and make the work cut your hand open.

5 Likes

Thanks for the insights, got it done successfully!

1 Like