Mitre Saw Down/Gone

I know the mitre saw has been sent off for repairs and as I understand it won’t be back for maybe another three weeks. I didn’t notice this was posted so just posting this so to give others a heads up just in case this is a tool they need.

2 Likes

Sorry I thought someone else had posted it

Can we reimplement the sliding(we’ll not sliding cause it has an arm not a rail) Mikketa miter from way back in place till it’s back! Should be in the wear house last I saw

The Bosch is also down, it doesn’t have a functioning fence and putting it back into play without that would be dangerous. We have parts orders out for both the Bosch and kapex.

I’ll be bringing in my personal cheap small miter saw tonight as a stop gap until either of the above two come back online.

5 Likes

I forgot my saw last night when I came in. My bad, I’ll try to get it up there ASAP.

The Kapex has come back quoted at $1200 for repair. A new one is $1545. Discussion for the saw/ potential replacement will be moved to the committee meeting.

1 Like

Thanks for the update. I’m not on the committee but my vote is for a new one. lol!!

But seriously, hope everything gets worked out soon. :relaxed::relaxed:

You are on the committee! Anyone who wants to be is on the committee! There’s no requirement except to be a member and show up to the meeting :slight_smile:

8 Likes

We could buy 2.2 Bosch saws for that much $

4 Likes

Well, that’s nice to know! I put this in my calendar! :grinning::grinning:

3 Likes

I seriously never saw any issues with accuracy or function when the previous saw was in place! The festools nice but the arm style sliding miter saw seemed to be a very nice work horse! Also we have a bunch of 12” blades already so if weee getting a new one I’d say just go with an updated version of the prior saw and I don’t think we’ll have very many issues with it after that

Hi Chris. Workhorse yes, but it had a high starting torque and literally jerked out of the hand of unprepared and/or weaker members. If DMS is going to get a 12" saw, seriously consider starting torque. Just one of the reasons I have favored the Makita designs.

3 Likes

That little Ryobi that is currently in there is like a bucking bronco on start up.

Yeah, but since the blade was changed it cuts pretty smooth. Lol. Just hold on for the ride.

I had completely forgot about the torque jerk from the old one, lol! Yea it was pad it you weren’t ready for it, and dangerous for people to like the start the saw with the blade close to the piece they’re cutting! But any arm style sliding miter should be great just not a rail slide one cause if those get a little out of parallel it makes it a nightmare but the arm styles are phenomenal

I must be the only person who hasn’t had a problem with sliding miter saws. How did I get so lucky on the 4 I have used over the years? In any event the mechanism of a folding arm saw seems much more complex than a couple of linear bearings on polished shafts.

1 Like

I suspect you don’t beat the crap out of your tools.

I have a sliding compound miter saw as you describe and it’s been awesome for years too.

That plus it’s bolted down. On those occasions where I do something dumb and have an urge to compound the problem by throwing something, the bolts save the miter saw!

Yea under normal circumstances although knowing the care you give your tools you’re in the above average category, but under normal use rails are really really good but I feel at the space they’ll be prone to someone dropping a board on it or something knocking it out of whack

I have a dewalt 12" (https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DWS716XPS-15-Amp-Compound-Cutline/dp/B07SHJTPMY/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3TJ4U0IOMYP16&keywords=dewalt%2B12%2Bmiter%2Bsaw%2B716&qid=1654204782&sprefix=dewalt%2B12%2Bmiter%2Bsaw%2B716%2Caps%2C120&sr=8-1&th=1) $379 - note the single bevel is $250. I went out the shop and started it using just two fingers without holding the handle - no torque - saw didn’t move on start up.

I had a 10" sliding saw - switch out because I never really used the sliding feature and it wasn;t that accurate (drifted after a while).

Reasons to go to a 12" fixed:
Less expensive (1/4 of a Kapex, 1/2 of Makita/Bosch)
Less moving parts - no sliding

Reasons to go with a 10" sliding:
Can cut 12" board vs only 9" or so for the 12" bladed fixed miter saw
Can do “trenching”

1 Like