Missing Rivet Setter dies for Leatherworking Hand Press

Hi folks,

The Rivet Setter Dies for the Leatherworking hand press are currently missing. They have been missing for a few days at least, maybe about a week.

They look like the image below. They are supposed to live in the hardware tub, in the cabinet that has the leather sewing machine in it. Since all 4 parts are missing, they may have been misplaced. They may be in a small square plastic container.

This set is about 6 weeks old, and cost about $100.

rapid-double-cap-rivet-press-die-3997-00b-600_430

2 Likes

I would really rather not have to check footage. If you put them away somewhere else, or accidentally took them with you, please bring them back and let either @mreynolds or I know theyā€™re back. No questions asked.

If they are not returned by Tuesday Iā€™ll be checking cameras.

3 Likes

Iā€™ll be at the space tonight and will look around

2 Likes

FWIW, The 7/16" and 1/2" Round Spot Press Die Setters are on deep discount at Tandy Outlet:

Normally $99.99, on sale for $24.99 each

http://www.tandyleatheroutlet.com/c-434-press-die-setter.aspx

3 Likes

Thanks Mike, yeah Iā€™ve asked Jorge to get a new set for the space. Hopefully these ones last longer :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Update on this situation. @EthanWestern found the missing setters in the Scrap Veg Tan bin! Thanks @EthanWestern!!!

6 Likes

If we havenā€™t bought another set, I can make another back-up set on the lathe.

4 Likes

Tool steel, TOOL STEELā€¦ then we can work on heat treat.

2 Likes

I had not yet. If you can turn a set that would be amazing.

1 Like

They are on deep discount sale. I do prefer making our own, but balance Daveā€™s time with the reduced cost.

@Photomancer thank you

Why use tool steel? Use mild steel. easier to work with, then temper it if needed. Itā€™s all in compression and not that much compression. But I suppose thereā€™s stopping you now that you have the scent.

1 Like

Eventually the mild steel would wear & mushroom. You have to add carbon to effectively harden it, or so Iā€™ve read.

How hard do you think they press down on leather? They are embossing leather not making a spreadable paste. Also, if you look at the sets, they are reduced diameter that fits into a a hole on the arbor/die and rest either on the end of that or shoulder. Iā€™ve never seen one that has "mushroomed. I would expect the die to crack first as they are usually cast metal or die cast material.

But I can see your heart is set on making an adapter that will be capable of breaking everything thing else before it yields. If you turn it - you decide what steel. :grin:

1 Like

Mild steel is too low in carbon to harden properly. Whether hardened tooling is needed in this instance is a different question.

Well thats a dumb place for them.

1 Like

If it turns out they need hardening, we can carborize the mild steel and then harden them. Not as good as tool steel, but would be more then good enough for this.

1 Like

Dave / photomancer is retired ā€¦plenty of ā€œavailableā€ time (note in did not say ā€˜freeā€™)

2 Likes

I meanā€¦if metal shop wants to play around making a tool how about a swage block?