Milwaukee Packout: Where Can I Touch One B 4 Buying?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-22-in-Packout-Modular-Tool-Box-Storage-System-233663/303038736
Wondering if anyone knows where I can touch one of these before buying. HD obviously sells them, but nobody in DFW appears to stock them/showroom them…

Other than that, anybody have/use formerly use them? Would love to hear about your experiences…

Thank you for reading!

I’m also interested in taking a look at these for myself.

1 Like

They are still relatively new to the market. I watched several videos on them, which I like the whole idea but I think Milwaukee is being lackluster on the delivery. Most seem to be available in the kits from what I’ve seen. Ive looked at Grainger but they have a very limited selection. I have to wonder if maybe HD is pushing back by not carrying because it may complete with a lot of their Husky line of storage.

1 Like

It looks like they’re in stock in Arlington and Lake Worth… may be worth a call to see if this is accurate.

2 Likes

The Husky sure is cheaper…

Here’s (what seems to me to be) a pretty decent (if slow paced) video of the Rigid vs. Milwaukee…

Looks to be in stock at all Northern Tool locations locally.

2 Likes

Hadn’t turned them up in prior searches. Thank you!

1 Like

If it fits your needs better that’s great, but I personally went with the Rigid branded system after looking at all of the rolling toolboxes including the Milwaukee ones.

I felt the construction quality on the Milwaukee wasnt that much better to justify the significant price increase over the Rigid branded boxes, and all of the other brands had significant issues in one area or another that made me rule them out.

2 Likes

Home depot usually has them.
The best time to buy is during black friday where they are a little bit cheaper, if you don’t need it now now.
The cover has a gasket to make the case water resistant/proof to a degree.
They feel better to the touch than any other competing brand. almost Pelican-like.
I have a 20" Jobsite organizer that I’ve been fence sitting on re-purposing for some other use.

1 Like

Dewalt has a similar system. Personally, I’m not a fan of the multi-tool box. My buddy Ray built 3 of the Dewalt versions for his tools and I think he would of been better served with a metal rolling tool chest.

These setups just get too heavy and awkward. A rolling chest though you have to plan around moving more is a really good solution once you have your process down.

1 Like

There is a Milwaukee service center just about 15 minutes south of the Makerspace. It’s a great place to get a hand on the tools before buying them. I would not recommend purchasing from this shop though as Home Depot always has better deals.

1625 W MOCKINGBIRD LN UNIT 205
Dallas TX 75235

5 Likes

Thank you for weighing in. For more about my reason in asking:

My entire interest is in:

• consolidating several “job boxes” for the instances when I need to take them on a call (making the “combinability” interesting)
  • easily loaded into a truck/car (making the “separability” interesting, so instead of one big box to load, you can load component boxes)
  • and for Milwaukee in particular, the “modularity” (several different modules which can be combined per-job-type for transport, though I expect to use this infrequently, if at all, as the “base package” with its 3 components would likely be all I’d want); The competition sort-of offers this, but the stacking/unstacking appears awkward by comparison, and they generally have much more limited choices in modules.)

So, for my purposes, a single metal rolling tool chest doesn’t fit the bill at all; that’s why I have the several small “job boxes” already, upon which I need to improve…

Jast, you pretty much have the same idea as what I intend on doing. Doing what I do requires lot of tools, I like to have things in set cases so I grab the required case that is needed to do the job.

In an ideal world, I would like a modular system that can easily unload from my van & set aside secured. Construction guys use job boxes, my van is my job box. It would be nice to have something as secure as a job box but portable enough to easily unload. But for now I shall use my close to 9,000 lb “mobile” tool box.

2 Likes

Love my Rigid stack. Can’t see the Millwaukee being worth the extra cost, but its a very similar system.

2 Likes

That can easily work against you if you put a wet tool inside. Rust city.

4 Likes

All, I will be up at space on Saturday to help with Metal Shop cleanup. Come by and I’ll have my packout stuff in the Jeep.

2 Likes

Thank you!
I wish I could be there, but alas! I’ll be otherwise indisposed…

Yeah, I get what you are saying and have a friend that did exactly what you dream of here. But, the plastic boxes which are easy to steal and break and the low quality rollers where just a waste of time and effort in my opinion.

At the same time I have a friend with a rolling job box and a truck ramp. His box is something like this job box. His box locks securely and he has a bracket that lock the box into the bed of his truck. So he can leave it in the vehicle for long periods with much lower fear of theft.

For me theft is my biggest concern. You can quickly forget how much money you have in your toolbox till you have a box walk away. I use to maintain a job box when I worked with my dad’s company. When I loaned him the box on his trip to India, it got scalped by the local laborers. This was the first time I had to go through my full inventory of tools and replace them. When I did the math, I had lost $4800 in hand tools. Neither my dad or I realized the value until it was gone. We lucked out in the fact that we had fully inventoried the box for customs on the trip. His company understood the issue and funded the replacement of the tools because we had this inventory. The easier you make an item separable and carriable, the easier it is to walk up and steal.

Not saying your want isn’t rational, just saying it is double edged.

2 Likes

Over 30+ years ago my neighbor had his work truck constantly being opened on the job site and tools being stolen. He put a rattle snake in a wire cage inside his truck. Nothing was every stolen after that. He would feed his rattle snake white mice that he would buy at the pet store.

3 Likes

I knew a guy that had a pitbull that he trained to stay in the bed of his truck for the same reason. He would load the dog up when he went into the less honest neighborhoods. He said he never had a problem after the dog. The dog wasn’t even mean, but it’s presence kept the people walking by honest.

The rattle snake sounds like a joke your neighbor is pulling on you.