Mike Eber passed away today 9-16-2020

I’m sure many of you don’t know Mike Eber, but he was among the first 50 members of DMS. He passed today after his heart stopped while on a ventilator. He has been hospitalized multiple times recently for pneumonia it had damaged his heart.

Mike had a mixed history with DMS and many of the members. Lets not speak ill of the dead, as he leaves behind a Child and Wife with much to over come. I wish him peace and his family strength to move forward.

26 Likes

Thanks Nick.

2 Likes

Wow. Mike was a big presence in the early days of the space, and he encouraged me a lot in my own projects. I can’t believe he’s gone.

2 Likes

I remember one of the first big projects I worked with him on was the wifi link we tried to setup. While we never did get a stable link from downtown to Ladybird, we did get a fairly solid connection from the datacenter to downtown, and I believe over to a location for the amateur radio club that was helping us.

6 Likes

He was the first person that took time to train me on the Polyprinters. Nicest guy. He will be missed.

5 Likes

Sad news. Thanks for posting Nick.

This is terrible news he was a good maker and it’s a tragic loss for the community.

1 Like

The family has requested cards or letters remembering Mike for his son, Haden.

PM me, and I’ll give you the address, or I’ll be collecting them in the Common Room.

5 Likes

He was at the Austin Maker Faire with us all those many years ago, pre DMS. Last hung out with him at a Mikrotik event. Will definitely write up some cards for Haden. R.I.P. sir.

3 Likes

I remember we took the sawzall to the roof drain pipe at your facility to fish the cable.

That project with him was the first time I even heard of a place like this.

That was such a hilarious cable run, I can’t believe the owner let us do it.

Back when the best internet connect we could get was 2 megabits and it was often much lower.

Thank you all for the kind words and a special thanks to anyone willing to write a card to Mike’s Family. I hope these kind thought and letters help his family through this loss.

4 Likes