Mig and Tig welding class interest

Hello everyone,

I have only done stick welding in the past, however I now have the need to weld aluminum so I would like to pick up tig welding. I also have an interest in Mig, and I understand we are about to get a mig capable of aluminum.

Does any one else have interest in a Tig or Mig welding class?

Thanks,
-Christian Greeff

1 Like

Interested. I have no welding skills whatsoever but would like to eventually learn mig and tig.

We need to tear out and replace the drywall and paint it then get welding equipment back in place and try out our new welder thats still in the box, then schedule classes, so probably a week or two till classes depending on how much help we get. Drywall repair probably starts friday and will be ready to paint this weekend. My father inlaw is visiting so i won’t have much freetime till next week

3 Likes

Is the new machine a MIG by chance? I’ve done the TIG class but wouldn’t mind learning MIG.

@Christian_Greeff :: Good to meet you last night, and welcome to the 'Space! You’re gonna love it!

@rlisbona :: I’m very hopefully racing this weekend so won’t be able to help out with Metal Shop tasks till next week.

Also! I’ve never written up a equipment ticket, but I was in Metal Shop last night trying to use the vapor hone to clean up the intake of my GT, (after thoroughly cleaning it in the Automotive parts washer first, and that was after cleaning it as well as I could with brake cleaner and a brush), but I must’ve done something incorrectly because the vapor hone didn’t seem to have anywhere near as much pressure, the abrasive/water nozzle seemed too large, and the flow in general too weak. Normally it would clean the aluminum part up and make it look brand new, as I have with other junkyard-harvested parts I use in my sculptures, but it didn’t really seem to do very much at all. Could someone who knows about such things take a look at the vapor hone and see what I did wrong? I unplugged it and disconnected the air line when I was finished. I’d connected the air and plugged it in and it seemed operational. Just lacks sufficient ‘oomph’. :wink:

Thanks much!

DD

The new machine is multi-process machine with a push pull gun.

1 Like

Thanks Tim! TIL that those exist.

MIG, Stick, and DC TIG on the new multimatic

1 Like

i am very interested in a welding class

I’d like to learn tig welding.

@ronniejd, you said you wanted to take an intro to TIG or MIG welding.

I see that there is a welding class on Sunday. I do not feel like i have the experience to actually sign up and participate. Is there an option to observe? I see that there are two spaces left and i don’t want to take a space if there is someone who has the basic requirements.
Should i sign up I don’t mind paying the $10 even to only observe.
I have done some oxy/acetlene welding and tried arc welding.
I really want to learn MIG

please advise

As I read the class description, it’s a basics/intro class, i.e. this is the class one takes if they have little-to-no experience (in TIG welding, in this particular case).

thanks for the response. The description says that you “must have taken hot process safety and ideally have some mig welding experience” Unfortunately i have neither… yet

1 Like

If you haven’t taken the hot process safety class - it is being taught by @dryad2b [Beth] on Sunday [4/3]… though I didn’t see it on the calendar [so she might not be having it then]. But if she’s having it, I would try and take it so it’ll set you up in the future.

that will be perfect - thank you

The class should show up for signing up later tonight. I squeaked it under the 6.5 day window.

Keith, i think I have four beginner’s signed up now for the tig class, you are welcome to come and watch or be first in line if someone cancels. I personally found Tig pretty hard to learn, it takes good eye, hand, foot coordination.

Mig is usually a little easier to learn and easier to see what the arc and puddle should look like

Now available to sign up at:

https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/17943

1 Like

thanks for the heads up.- i am signed up for the hot process class. I will stop by and introduce myself