Micrometers are not C-clamps!

If it was an honest mistake they can explain themselves, but when the don’t even bother to report it then what else should anyone think? Not reporting tool breakages is itself a cause for problems around here and lends credence to the “someone knew they were doing something they shouldn’t”

We already allow committees to charge commercial users differently, and they do in one way or another.

Metal we don’t have much that will wear from that kind of use, but ensure that commercial users bring their own consumables for torch heads and pay for the associated costs of things like MIG and powder.

Laser has job time limits, machine those with commercial work tend to bring their own end mills and the like.

There are very few things where “drawing the short straw” in tool wear results in a charge. The cold cut saw is the only one I am aware of where this is the case, and even then it’s pretty rare that the previous users cause the damage that causes a blade break on your use, as it’s generally broken when the work piece isn’t clamped properly as taught in the training.

I hope you realized my suggestions for limiting usage at DMS was satire. I think you mean something different by commercial users than I was thinking, I just meant a member making something they decide to sell, not setting up a production line using DMS as a commercial shop every day. I’m still bothered by the cold cut saw vote.

was reading on a phone and it all just ran together.

I am too, but I’m going to get my own blade anyway; always know it will be sharp.

I wholeheartedly agree with this.

Let me make it worse for you.

Machine shop receives a monthly stipend of $500 to pay for consumable items. Try reconciling that attempting to make people pay for a consumable item that we have used a total of 2 for the year…

1 Like

Then it would be reasonable for the board to monitor these expenses and dock from that $500 any replacement costs users were already forced to pay.

1 Like