Metaza discussion 6/14/21

Let me start with the apologies – this is most likely going to be more fully addressed in the July meeting, but I wanted to bring up the topic.

@dougemes – as I understand it, the Metaza is sort of dead. Mostly unrepairable, yes?

That said, I’m assuming that we want some machine of this sort available, so it’s time to think about buying a replacement. I have zero experience with this type of machine, so I have no clue what to look for or at, nor where to start. I certainly don’t want to make the mistake of the Janome machines, where we went for fancy and wound up with delicate.

3 Likes

It looks like the current model that Roland is selling, the Metaza MPX-95, has a base price of $4,995. Adding on the Gift Marking Kit, which includes a center vise with clamp pins and head caps brings it to $6,395.

2 Likes

If there’s something that needs machined or welded I’m happy to volunteer to help with the repairs.

2 Likes

Is this something we use enough to justify spending that much?

1 Like

We bought the original one used for $500. You can read the details at this earlier post.

I’ve used it, liked using it, and would probably use it again. But I’m much more interested at the $500 price level, not the $6400 price level.

I see at least one used one and various replacement parts available on eBay. Maybe there’s something in the replacement parts that would bring this thing back to life.

3 Likes

I would use it!!!
A tufting gun would be nice too :rofl:…just sayin

1 Like

It will take someone with far better eyesight than I to try and disassemble to replace the failed limit switch mechanism for the threaded rod axis. @themitch22 had mentioned he might be game to look at it.

Replacement technologies fall into a couple of areas:
For some tasks, a diamond engraving bit will scratch things fine, which could run in either of the shapeoko’s. Example no-name endmill: https://www.amazon.com/DIAMOND-SPRING-LOADED-ENGRAVING-DEGREE/dp/B07DMLN88W

But the actual up-down impact effect is somewhat unique to the metazza. Cameo and Cricut both have engraving tools, but they don’t do as fine a job as the metazza did. BUT, its only $50
Amazon.com: The Etching/Engraving Tool for The Silhouette by Chomas Creations and Stamping Blanks: Round, Heart, and Dog Tags
So for “Flat / thin” that might be a viable solution. I heartily recommend spending the $50 for one of them.

2 Likes

I’ve got good eyes if you’ll meet up there with me sometime to work on it.

5 Likes

I’m happy to help with it as well. A limit switch shouldn’t be hard to source or replace.

1 Like

If the engraver was worth $500 two years ago, and the print head is the major moving part in the system, perhaps it’s worth another $500 to restore it to operation.

Looks like a replacement print head is still available on eBay for $435 by a company based in Plano, TX. Perhaps the seller (www.KOBIS.com, www.KobisOnline.com, phone 972-612-3400) might be a subject-matter expert (SME) as well as a parts source…

Note: The same part is available for ~$410 directly on their web site (or presumably for local pickup as well).

3 Likes

its not the head, its the rest of it. We actually tested out both heads slightly before the limit switch broke. on the “current” head only 2 of the 8 needles/pins/edges are actually kaput. It only uses 1 of them at a time, so the heads we have are fine.

2 Likes

@Raymond you have my complete faith in being able to take something apart and put it back together again. Go for it (once Beth @dryad2b gives the official thumbs-up as chair)

I was going to mention it online tonight… but technical difficulties.

Drivers etc are all on the sharedrive feel free to install on your personal laptop for testing etc.

1 Like

Y’all have my blessing! Let me know if I need to buy anything for repairs. If we need a part that’s more than $200, we’ll vote on it in the July meeting.

3 Likes

Thanks,

I’ll be up tomorrow evening to work on it.

4 Likes

It might be worth reaching out to KOBIS locally as a SME and/or to see if they do servicing.

2 Likes

This may be the next step after we see what Raymond and Malcolm can do with it.

1 Like

Limit switch was cleaned and now is working.

Yeah, @raymond!!

8 Likes

If it gives any more trouble we’ll need to get a replacement one. It’s a simple optical transmit/receive pair - an infrared LED and a phototransistor in a package.

2 Likes

I did leave it with the broken note still on it, for @dougemes to remove

3 Likes

I’m here, glad to see the new pc, but my login ID hasn’t been elevated to install on this desktop, still.

@jast or @yashsedai or whomever does it these days