Metal working orientation

Hi!
I am Jim and I am interested in an orientation / introduction to the Machine shop. I am a recently retired white collar guy but had a 1500 sq ft shop with a Whacheon 18 x 40 lathe, Tree UVG mill, Haas VF1, Haas SL 10t, Kent surface grinder, Miller 250 and 251 TIG and MIG welders, OA welder, lots of support equipment and a foundry. I sold my shop and moved to Denton to be close to family. I taught at the local city college shop program as a volunteer instructor. I am available most days.
Best regards,
Jim

5 Likes

Jim, you’ll love this place. I’m still working, unfortunately, but live close by. I could give you a tour at 3:30 Thursday.
-Randy

3 Likes

Jim,
Welcome. I am mainly in the Machine Shop mostly during the weekdays afternoons/evenings. Next weekend, 3-27 @5pm we are having our monthly committee meeting. I welcome you to join us if you would like. We are always looking for folks to get more involved in our shenanigans.

3 Likes

TBJK,
I would be delighted to add to the confusion 3-27 5 pm.
best,
Jim

2 Likes

Randy,
Sorry, somehow I missed your post. Are you available within the next week? I am actually interested in all things metal related, not just Machine Shop. Cathy, my spouse, is retired professional quilter with all of the toys. Can she tag along for a look at the fabric art side?
Best regards,
Jim

1 Like

Ya I was wondering if you still wanted a tour or if there was no need, I’ve given a surprisingly high number of tours to people who have joined and are coming in for the first time. It has been taking a few days to get RFID tags setup so if you wait till our next committee meeting you would have to sneak in or hope someone answers the doorbell. Its better to get that setup soon. It’s highly unlikely based on your post that you won’t decide to join once you’ve seen the place. I think I’ve only given one tour to someone who didn’t join, he didn’t think he was motivated enough to come take advantage of all our equipment anytime he wanted. He preferred community college classes where he had to show up every week at a set time. He was a good friend but I’m not sure if he is worthy at this point :wink:

I’ll be near the makerspace about 1:45 friday afternoon, or could come Saturday afternoon.

2 Likes

That would be fantastic!
See you this Friday (tomorrow) at 1:45 PM.

1825 Monetary Ln, Carrollton, TX 75006
Right?

Best,
Jim cell 951 565 6514

Yes, the door with the sign that says we don’t give tours

3 Likes

Perfect!
See you then.
Best,
Jim

We have a lot of non-fabric tools that can be used on quilts:

• Dye sublimation - putting photographs (or artwork) onto polyester fabric
  • Heat press - for adding heat set crystals
  • Laser cutter(s) for cutting: acrylic rulers/templates, fabric - especially large or intricate pieces including appliqués, freezer paper for appliqués, batting for faux trapunto, custom buttons …

All are welcome

Thanks!
Best,
Jim

I would like to introduce myself to the committee this afternoon but I have been unable to log on. I can only reply to this thread. I do not have a valid RFID yet, waiting on a response to see if the retired membership categaory is still valid. Anyway, I plan to be there at 5 PM today. :slightly_smiling_face:
Best, Jim

2 Likes