Metal work- customizing a motorcycle rear fender

I’m looking to have the rear fender of my motorcycle cut down and the edges finished. Pretty simple project with the right tools.

Welcome to our TALK forum!

Are you posting to let us know about a project that you plan to work on, or are you asking for advice, or are you wanting to pay someone to do it for you?

Knowing these things will let others know how to respond, and let us know which category we should move this thread to.

Thanks!
:slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi, thanks, I’m looking for someone to work on the project, amount of pay is negotiable.

1 Like

Wouldn’t it be more fun and satisfying to do it yourself? Not being a smartass here. I did bike work for a long time, but I will say this - If I build it, it’s just gonna be you riding my bike. If you build it, every look you get, compliment you hear, and old lady you scare, will be all you bro. WTF would you give that away?

You’ll never find a better place to learn to do it, and once you learn it, it can never be taken away from you.

5 Likes

True, but I don’t have the tools to make what I have in mind, I could just go buy a fender kit but then it would look like every other customized bike out there :slight_smile:

1 Like

We have tools at the space to do the job. You could use an air body saw or 3" cutoff wheel.

3 Likes

@Jonah_Gilmore,

If you aren’t yet a member, getting a membership is easy! Just go to https://dallasmakerspace.org/join

Membership is only $50/mo for 24/7 access. If you haven’t been by to check the Space out in person to see all that we have available to our members, the best time to get a tour is during our weekly tour nights ~ every Thursday night beginning at 7 pm. Just show up between 7 PM and 9 pm on a Thursday night and we should be able to answer any questions about membership and available tools at that time. If Thursdays are not good for you, then we suggest that you check out our Events Calendar, and join us for a class. Most of our classes are free and open to the public.

If you are already a member, then let us know what days you can be around, and someone who has the skills to work with you may be able to help you learn how to use the tools you need in order to make it yourself. (Note: some tools require training prior to using them. With those, you would have to attend training, or see if someone can do that part for/with you…)

Can’t hurt to try! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Chopping a front fender is pretty straightforward. You need to layout the cuts on the tin, and spend lots of time being certain it’s perfect before you cut. Any imbalance or odd edge will be very noticeable on that fender. Once the layout lines are in place, use a body saw, scrap wood, and clamps, and carefully cut slightly outside the layout lines and trim away unwanted tin. The stock must be very well clamped, or the saw will cause chattered edges. You’ll need to move and re-clamp a bunch.

The fender edge is the next issue, look carefully at the factory edges. They are usually rounded slightly, or even folded under. You’ll need to sand the edge to that profile, and uniformly do it to the layout line. Take your time. Perfection is the goal, not speed.

Once done, off to the painter.

3 Likes

How do we connect? Whats the space?

This is the only project like this I’ve had to do, like ever, so I wouldnt need a membership, but if I had some help I wouldnt mind trying to do this myself, is there an option outside of the monthly access fee? Or I just need someone to get it done.

You may very well find someone to do it for you around here, but our thing is more “empower you to do it yourself” than “community fab shop for hire”

3 Likes

Hi @Jonah_Gilmore! :slight_smile:

Let me answer some of your questions:

The 'Space is Dallas Makerspace. Here is a link to our main webpage: https://dallasmakerspace.org

From the page:

Who We Are
Dallas Makerspace is a 501©(3) non-profit, shared community workshop and laboratory. We are an organized group of local artists, engineers, makers, and thinkers who work together to provide tools and learning resources to the public.

What We Do
We use these resources to collaborate on individual and community projects in order to promote science, technology and art; while working and experimenting on innovative ideas to encourage learning within our community.

Why We Do It
At Dallas Makerspace we believe that collaboration is a truly effective form of learning. To that end, our members and volunteers teach classes, hold unique educational events and collaborate on cool projects.

Why Should I Join
24/7 Access to our tools & space
A voice in how the organization is run
Discounts on some classes and workshops
Support our mission

We only offer monthly and annual memberships. It’s only $50/mo. You very well would find yourself knees deep in projects once you join and see what everyone else is doing around the 'Space!

Every month we have a “Show and Tell” thread to show off some of the things we’ve done here at the 'Space. Click this link to the category and look through some of the threads: Show and Tell.

We also open our doors to the public every Thursday Night from 7 PM until around 9 PM to give tours and answer questions. That would be a great time for you to stop by to check the place out and see if you might be interested in joining our community. :slight_smile:

Here is a link to more information on how to join, if you are interested:

https://dallasmakerspace.org/join/

If you are simply not interested in joining our community, that’s OK too! This post will serve as notice to interested members that you are willing to hire someone to make it for you. :slight_smile:

^^ THIS about sums it up.

We do allow non-members to join the TALK forum and request assistance (as you have done); but, being a group of MAKERS, we have a tendency to strongly encourage people to learn new things (and teach others what they know).

:slight_smile:

3 Likes