Metal shop scrap

@Team_Metal_Shop

The metal shop scrap bin is mostly unusable trash now. I am willing to volunteer the use of my pick up and time to clean it up and haul it to a scrap yard. With today’s very low scrap metal prices, I estimate $30-40 total. That would help pay for my fuel, not trying to make money here, but rather donate some of my time to help the metal shop. If I can find a day to have my Dodge Ram truck bed cleaned out, and a few volunteers to help move the scrap, would the metal admin team be interested in me doing this?

ISSUE or REQUEST:

Affected Tool or Resource:

Committee, Group or Volunteer who usually handles this type of ISSUE or REQUEST (Please tag using the @ symbol. A list of current groups that can be “mentioned” is maintained at this LINK.):

Details of ISSUE or REQUEST (Please be as specific as possible):

PLEASE REMEMBER DALLAS MAKERSPACE IS AN ALL VOLUNTARY RUN COMMUNITY.
Our volunteers will handle the reported issues as quickly as possible; however, there is no guaranteed time frame for resolution - due to the voluntary nature of how things work around here.

Please consider volunteering to help maintain some of our resources to help keep things running as smooth as possible here! Thanks!

:bulb: If you are reporting or resolving an equipment issue, please also update the tool status board appropriately.

1 Like

I like to use the completely mangled metal to practice welding on. I’ll normally cut it up again and reweld a couple of times. If we’re getting rid of those pieces can I come grab a couple today to keep with me?

1 Like

It couldn’t do it in the next 10 days. Just wanted to offer it as an option. It’s gotten to be a hazardous situation now

You are right. It’s not likely worth the gas. I’m not sure what the price is on scrap these days, last time I took a personal load it was .10-11 a #. I think I got like 60$ for it.

You should not touch anything in metalshop without written permission from @dallasmagna

1 Like

Isn’t the whole purpose of the scrap bin, that the material in it can be pulled from without permission? I mean, it is still good to get permission, but mostly I’m just curious if there are limitations there.

3 Likes

“would the metal admin team be interested in me doing this?”. @Brandon_Green.

This was a proposal. Not an action of touching anything.

4 Likes

I checked CMC recycling a few days ago and they were at 6 to 8.5 cents a lb.

The metalshop freebie bin is subject to whatever guidelines the metalshop committee wants to create

I’m a relative newbie and I’ve been in the metal shop quite a bit. I’m certain we could sort and save off any practice-weld-worthy pieces…but most of it really is just junk. Not to mention the cut off bins. So I’d be willing to lend a hand on some evening or saturday.

1 Like

Interesting viewpoint, coming from you. :smiley:

1 Like

There are no written rules for the scrap bin. One could take all the metal out of it, weld it together, and cart off the result to sell. I don’t see any difference between that and selling it without welding it up first.

The metal marked “Committee Use Only” or “Class Use Only” should not be touched w/o permission from the chair.

(Edit: The “Be Excellent” rule applies – if it looks like someone could use it for a project, don’t be a dickbutt and take it for scrap value)

4 Likes

Thanks for offering, we shall see what becomes of it

Dooooo it.

And maybe @Team_Metal_Shop could discuss relocating the bin closer to the door for ease of future scrapping. Does it have wheels? That would make it even easier.

No wheels, directly on floor on a 5in raised platform I think, but could definately be moved. The building walls help keep some of the crap in there though

One might be able to get a pallet jack under it. It looks like it was braces to support it, but is not fully flat on the bottom. Hopefully the designer designed it like a regular wood pallet spacing

Correct a regular pallet jack works to move it around. It’s been moved a couple times, lol.

Per @zmetzing. 's Permission, I’m going to purge the scrap bin. I will leave useable metal. @Brandon_Green I hope you see no problems with the metal shop people not participating in contractual written agreements. If anyone has any problems please speak up. Date of actually doing this is to be determined.

This was really just an esoteric ploy againist myself in order to be forced to clean out my truck bed.

1 Like

My post wasn’t serious, more of a a sarcastic troll related to my past experience in tryng to help improve metalshop, I for one appreciate your willingness to help out.

2 Likes

If you want the scrap metal, mainly aluminum that comes out of the HAAS, you are welcome to it. Get with @nicksilva to work out the details.