Metal shop scrap - everything inside bin must go

Why would an amazing 3 HP motor not belong on the member exchange shelf ?

Because unless it is ā€œvaluedā€ by someone who knows it is dead and can fix it. It will sit on the Donation Shelf and that will be the last resting place BEFORE it gets scrapped.

So youā€™re advocating direct to scrap for a nice motor because someone might not know it needs a controller?
:confused:
Iā€™ll swing by and get it when Iā€™m out that way next weekā€¦

1 Like

Iā€™ve never seen a motor sit more then a day Steve

2 Likes

I tend to agree. Itā€™s a very expensive motor that has nice windings at a minnimum. If it makes it more than a week Iā€™ll personally remove it.

1 Like

The bin is finally empty so we can chop it down to size and clean that cornerā€¦ people hid so much steel under the bin.

There are some pieces that looked interesting as actually usable scrap. These are currently on the table until I get back later today after the recyclers and finish cleaning the area. I couldnā€™t even fit my own plasma sheet into my truck. The first load was 490 pounds of steel, and this load whilst smaller pieces is far denser.

2 Likes

Iā€™d be curious to know how much $ these loads bring. And, just guessing, Iā€™m thinking you should keep it for your gas moneyā€¦ (best guess I found online is for CMCRecycling at $7.25/100lbs, but I confess I have no idea what the other acronyms mean).

And thank you for doing this. That corner does have a tendency to get unruly.

1 Like

Ace Metal is giving us $7/pound. The first load was 490 pounds and garnered $30.50ā€¦ the second load ended up not being dropped off as after loading all that scrap without any help I was basically dead. Ace doesnā€™t open until monday morning so I guess I have a lot of scrap until then just stuck in my truck. Oddly, when I called CMC they said they werenā€™t interested in any incoming of our size but that rate is more typical of something we should be able to drive up withā€¦

5 Likes

That math doesnā€™t add up, even if you move the decimal point.

It comes out to a hair over $0.062 or 6.2 cents a pound if you received $30.50 for 490 pounds.

I think that was a typo in my original notes. Thinking about it more, was likely around 430 pounds, as 490 would have pushed my truck weight over 6000 and I know the scale didnā€™t read that high. Iā€™ll double check when I can look at the receipt.

EDIT: I did confirm the typo; was 430 not 490