Metal Shop Meeting - Induction!

There is a Metal Shop Meeting set for this Wednesday. One of the things we need to do is set up and run the induction furnace. We now have an outlet installed and cord made up, and the system powers up. We have not tried it yet, but we can do it at the meeting.

6 Likes

I might be able to make this one. What time is it?

https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/4003

Looks like 7:00 PM in the metalshop…

2 Likes

If someone is willing to take a photo of the induction furnace, I’d be glad to add it to the Tools listing on the wiki.

3 Likes

Sorry I had to miss this. Normally I’d be there, but a personal thing came up. I’d love any notes/minutes anyone is willing to share.
Also, if you get the induction furnace going and test it, photos, please. :+1:

1 Like

7 Likes

Is that Chuck playing Wolfenstein while Tim works on the induction furnace? ( :wink: )

Thank you!

3 Likes

Tried but we couldn’t get enough flow with any of the pumps we had.

2 Likes

It is functional now, but needs some more permanent wiring, and a train-the-trainer class.
Video here:
Induction Furnace

10 Likes

Totally willing to learn / help / polish / whatever to ensure that this is a successful new tool. Sign me up for whatever is needed.

The video helps me understand this a lot!

If you or @TBJK (or someone else) wants to point me to a photo, and give me a little info, I’d be glad to add it to the Tools page of the wiki if that helps. Is training required?

I got a demo the other night and I have to say I was very impressed with how quickly the piece of steel went from cold to cherry red.

There were some folks making a video of it the other night.

At this time, the trained folks are getting up to speed on the use & should start hosting classes soon. However, the duty cycle is currently greatly reduced until we can get the cooler made. It flat out won’t work if the water temp gets too hot. 140 degrees ish. I picked the square tube up for it this morning. I’m hoping to get by the office to pick up the fan today.

Edited because I have kinda a bad memory sometimes.

1 Like

When is the knife making going to commence?

1 Like

That’s already begun, One of the guys that was in the Train the Trainers was making knives out of old wrenches.

1 Like

have we replaced the anvil in the metal shop yet? we talked about it during the train the trainers class?

Yah I saw his cutoff mess he didn’t clean up Wednesday morning when I was in metal.

Niiiiice! I have a big old file here I’ve been jonesing to turn into a knife. :slight_smile:

Can’t larger coils be added to the machine? Maybe the size of an axe head could fit through?