Metal Shop Lighting Upgrades Tonight @ 10pm (May 9, 2019)

I will be starting with the new LED bulb installs in the metal shop. I may not finish it all tonight, and if not will button up and continue another time.

But during the service tonight the shop may only have some lights running and/or be operating on secondary portable lights.

If you are fine with this then you may use basic things in the shop if you stay clear of the lift, but welding activities are I’ll advised during this time.

Edit: Another session will be starting tonight (May 8, 2019), tentatively at 10pm. This is dependent on the tombstones being present and the correct ones. Since there is apparently a bag of ones procured for these bulbs it seems likely they might be the correct size, versus the ones i found before.

-Jim

Thank you very much for doing this. Be safe.

I volunteered to help with that as well, I’m out of town the next few days but could work on it this weekend.
Randy

Thanks. It’s a fair amount of work so it’s going to have to be broken up.

Metal shop reopened for use. First fixture done. We need to order a different type of tombstone.
To make this one work once started we had to die grind the fixture which we do not want to do going forward.

May 7 not March and thankyou for wearing the harness and operating safely

Are you using the tombstones that Logistics has already purchased?

The only ones we could find were a handful in the electrical room; we didn’t find any in the other logistics spots we were told to look.

Ask Beth @dryad2b. She pointed me to a huge bag of them.

Thanks, I’ll ask when I see her. I got bounced around a lot last night and had never found them.

Another session will be starting tonight, tentatively at 10pm. This is dependent on the tombstones being present and the correct ones. Since there is apparently a bag of ones procured for these bulbs it seems likely they might be the correct size, versus the ones i found before.

If anyone is able to lend a hand with the job it would be appreciated. Will be using the lift and, if enough people help, one of the A frames for the simpler parts.

just one fixture of these lights is already a marked improvement; can actually see what I’m grinding on the KMG now.

I have a portable Area light, and we have other portable lights to use as well. priority will be the fixtures that have dead bulbs first.

Small wiring experience preferred but not required (there is simple wiring that can be demonstrated with clear instructions if you can get comfortable stripping the wire).

Cheers,
-Jim

By the way Jim, be careful, sometimes the lights are not clearly emergency lights (bulbs are burnt out), and will not be impacted by turning the switch off. They will have constant live power flowing to them.

2 Likes

In the fluorescent fixtures in metal? I’ll keep an eye out. Have live wire testers

1 Like

Yeah, I think one of the middle fixtures are always-hot, but burned out. 20% certain.

1 Like

well that’s what the breaker LOTO is for.

lol we don’t have any of those :slight_smile:

I’ve used them, they’re usually sitting on top of one of the panels in the electrical room; don’t tell me they walked because that would really be a pain to deal with.

Lets hope i just didnt see them. Gonna add this to the list. Lockout tagout boards in relevant places.

We have a bag for the common ones now on one logistics board. I’d like to have a full panel of them eventually

I’ll try and double check they are there. If they’re missing I’ll get a replacement or two

More fixtures in the metal shop were completed. Volunteers needed to disband for the night. We found some ways to optimize it (like using some longer sheet metal screws to replace the existing ones holding the tombstones in place).

Most difficult thing is shifting equipment around to get to each section. Not looking forward to doing the one over the plasma.

However, even with the handful of fixtures done it is a significant improvement.

3 Likes