Metal Shop Donation?

@dallasmagna and @zmetzing

Not sure who else to tag. :wink:

Went out to the property to clean up today and ran across 2 spools of aluminum MIG wire. Do you guys want this for the Metal Shop?

Thanks,

Raymond

2 Likes

@TBJK

Raymond, for future use Tim is Chucks online alter ego for metalshop.

2 Likes

Thanks Walter and Zach,

I’ll bring them up next time I come up. Zach, I also brought back that big piece of aluminum I was telling you about.

Raymond

Just curious, how are we going to use aluminum mig wire?

1 Like

On aluminum? :blankspace:

We don’t have a spool gun to weld aluminum

If DMS can’t use it then perhaps someone would donate a bit of cash to the Metal Shop kitty for it.

Nah I’m sure Zach wants it for the metal shop, I was just asking a general question in case there’s another way to use it

1 Like

What diameter is it out of curiosity? It could possibly be used in powder coating, that’s the worst case. I’d say bring it.

1 Like

Since MIG is shielded arc it should work okay. I believe you have to use 100% Argon not 80/20 Ar/CO2. The amperage, voltage and Feed rates will also be different because of the much lower melting point, aluminum is also a much better heat conductor so more likely to get blow through if not careful as the heat affected zone is larger.

MIG is DC, when welding with TIG AC current is used as it helps clear oxides off the weld. But MIG in DC mode does this to a degree when the arc changes or momentarily breaks as wire is melded off and more fed in (Note: all of MY welding has frequent arc breaks).

All that being said, I’ve really only done little MIG myself, observed a lot when working, familiar with process, but much more with TIG. Welding aluminum is challenging. But if you can get to where you can do aluminum in MIG then do steel with MIG should be easy or easier.

Not all alloys of aluminum are very weldable.

You are correct about the argon. The arc doesn’t act right when it’s 75/25, as well as the welds tend to develop carbon if I recall correctly.

MIG welding aluminum can be a stickler.

When I do MIG welding on aluminum I use Argon gas and also reverse the polarity of the DC voltage. That’s what my manual says to do.

2 Likes

Not that I’m saying this is this intention, but an enterprising individual may use MIG filler for TIG process, too. Not ideal, but it works. As usual, there are YouTube videos…

1 Like

It’s filler rod, don’t see why it wouldn’t work. As long as the alloys are the same they should be interchangeable. At least going from MIG to TIG.

Two spools have been placed in the cabinet!

You can tell which ones by looking for the dirt dauber remnants.

3 Likes