Metal Shop Committee Meeting (Saturday, March 2nd, 2019)

Realized I had forgotten to make a post about the meeting here on talk.

We have a few things we need to go over:

• vote on additional tubing dies (the commonly requested 1-3/4" die)
  • go over needs and wants given the current Expansion situation
  • discuss issues with welding training that have been raised regarding the KMG
  • any additional new business

Chores:

• Finish welding powder coating shelves
  • cycle vapor hone water (check its current condition)
  • Finish welding the Water Buffalo (steel tube bumper around the plumbing and cage around motor)
  • Redo the plumbing on the water buffalo (needs a 3/4" NPT male to go out to a valve, drain port, and a standard hose fitting as compact as possible)
  • test all equipment
  • install andon lights on the Grinders, and on the crash cart for the plasma table
  • clean the shop
1 Like

Because I know the whole committee (and all of DMS for that matter!) will be sweating it, I have to sit this out, even though I would love to be there and help.
My needs and wants are simple:
I NEED it all,
I WANT more.
I trust you uns to make good choices. :+1:

2 Likes

I’ll have the full minutes up later tonight, but meeting update off the top of my head:

We voted to

• purchase another Milwaukee grinder (with the intake filter), some batteries, and a multi-charger station. This was completed today.
  • replace at least one of the 208 sockets with the 480 transformer we already have. We cannot run the transformer at capacity, but we can at least get the Big TIG in a more usable state than it is currently
  • procure a 1-3/4" bending die. Order has not been placed yet but they tend to have a 2-3 week lead time.

stuff built / fixed:

• bumper and pump box walls welded onto the Water Buffalo (done as part of an impromptu welding class)
  • Shelf welded for the locked cabinet at the front of the room (by one of the first time welders)
  • I plasma cut then bent a grinder rack on the brake; we now have a wall mounted grinder home for the smaller grinders
  • we re-wired the kiosk area per an FM request
  • we installed one of the andon lights on the Grinder pedestal so now the Red light comes on when the system is energized (harder for users to forget they left it running)
  • redid the plumbing on the water buffalo (better valve and brass fittings; tight space and higher flow rate)
  • plasma cut and bent on brake some sheet metal to make a flat tray that rests secure on the oven shelves, so you can use the minimal contact shelf or the tray depending on what you are doing,
  • cleaned equipment
  • chopped up the old oven table (didn’t hold together well, and we recycled most of the material into other projects we welded today. The rest of it is either in the scrap bin or for later committee use)

Cheers,
-Jim

New grinder hanger

New shelf in the front tool storage

Andon light for the grinder pedestal

Bumper and new plumbing on the water buffalo

2 Likes

I’m glad the metal shop is going the Milwaukee route with cordless tools. Far superior than Ryobi. Thanks for that.

I have the cordless 5 inch oscillating variable speed sander and love it.

I also have the Pro- Pex Milwaukee expander if you need any pex lines ran for the water buffalo.

1 Like