Metal of Mac laptop - anyone have something similar I could buy/have?

One of the ways I’m potentially getting this laser cutter is that I’m going to etch all of the laptops the school currently owns for security. Que the - Will work for laser sign - Its an avenue people don’t laugh…anything for dem kids.

We have over a thousand laptops and iPads that would need to be etched on the back for security. I need something “similar” to show him how it would look for the actual computer. I know its online and all but he’s a cake and beer kinda guy (I love him) he needs evidence in hand. I realize this task could be accomplished a few ways but THINK LASERCUTTER for Franczvai!

What type of metal would you say is most similar to the metal on a mac that I could laser this weekend? links of where to find it/buy it would be appreciative.

Metaza tags?
Brass?

I have access to some thin aluminum if you would like

You may need to get some Cermark for that. I don’t think the CO2 lasers will etch the metal.

I’m not sure how old the Macbooks are but there seem to be a whole lot of empty housings on eBay. These are the 2010 variety.

1 Like

Would the “way cheaper dry Moly lube” trick work on a MacBook? Schools like cheap. Unless there’s a kickback, of course, but the purchasing officer won’t talk about that.

I’ve a number of aluminum remnants available to test with if you like. Mostly 6061 and some unknown type of aluminum from those round cut off’s I used to test aluminum on the Shapeoko.

and now for some good advise. NO cermark is needed. first here is a video showing it being done: mac engrave
apple cases are not raw aluminum. they are anodized. the reason this works directly with a CO2 laser is the andodized is removed and exposes fresh aluminum. this is done a lot on iphones as well. The bad part is I can’t advise on the power or speed necessary. it would have to learned by setting up a sacrificial part and running several test passes at a varying speed and power. best guess - you want to run it as fast as possible so run 100% speed and sneak up on the power. It might be worth buying the case off d-bay (they get a D from me lately) as the sacrificial piece.
cheers!

7 Likes

Thank you thank you thank you

This can be tricky because like nick said, you have to get the power right, and if you don’t, you have to very carefully re-run the part (hopefully it hasn’t moved between runs).

The other thing is that the backs are slightly curved, so you can get an under or over-etch in places depending on settings and power. There are some good results out there, but it works best when everything is very dialed in.

Just FYI don’t want to stop your laser but Apple engraves iPads for free for any new iPads coming in.

SHUUUUUUTTTTTTTTT UPPPPPP Robert!!! This is a MISSION to get a LASER. Stop! Jeeeze I don’t care if they hand deliver it with a bottle of whiskey and a puppy for a day - I will never admit that. This is just a hoooooook to get a freakin’ laser. Minus two cool points robert minus two!

Ps thanks guys I found someone who had a broken one that I’m going to use for an example.

3 Likes

@uglyknees i have a macbook pro that doesnt work anymore… i can take the HDD out and you can laser it to your hearts content

Ok! I’ll take you up on it! I’m hoping to be at the space Saturday night.

Ummmm i dont know if we will be there until next week @missydee1206 and i are moving this weekend. She would know better than me if we could make it there

I knew that. I just forgot. Good luck on the move!

1 Like