Metal Cutting Tools

I saw in a storage area someone had made a cutting of the makers space logo on to a solid piece of metal.

Not sure how it was done, but it was maybe 12-16" inches square. I have an idea for a project that could use the same process, but I don’t know what the process was.

Any idea (or suggestions) on how to make this? Ideally, it is something I want to put on top of my mailbox.

Do we have a water jet cutter, or a plasma cutter that will cut a sharp line? And finally, if so, can I get trained on it?

The metal logos were cut on the plasma cnc. Looks like there is a full dynatorch class tomorrow, but you either might be able to fly standby, or see if someone can do a 1:1 with you.

3 Likes

I made them they are plasma cut and then welded together.

Honestly I can’t believe they are still around as they predated that bldg.

You can tell I had no idea what I was doing from the garbage welds.

5 Likes

They’re iconic now.

2 Likes

We have larger plasma cut samples out of thicker material as well in the metal shop. There is one made out of 3/4" thick plate hanging from the top of the oven next to the big red plasma table

Is anyone training anyone on how to use it?

I’m trying to schedule a class for late this week or early next week; there’s a few needing it. If all else fails, committee meetings typically provide training. They are usually the first Saturday of every month in the afternoon. Should be visible on the calendar

1 Like