Metal brakes availability

Are there any metal brakes currently available for use?? I haven’t been back to the space since December and I remember there being a couple.

1 Like

There is:

• A 48" wide manual magnetic “pan” brake for sheet metal in Metal Shop
  • A 18" - 20"or so manual sheet metal pan brake in Machine Shop
  • a 12" to maybe 18" V-air brake used on the hydraulic press. Not sure what max thickness is (But clearly much larger or harder plate has been used on it than supposed to be looking at damage).
3 Likes

The press brake can do 3/16" over the whole length, 3/8" over 5 inches, and (apparently thanks to some math by @procterc) 1/2" over a few inches

1 Like

IMO, I wouldn’t use it too close to it’s “limits” until we get a gauge on the press. I’m afraid of it as it is right now.

2 Likes

I was just there and I searched both locations but I didn’t see any of those brakes that were mentioned

1 Like

The large brake is temporaily located in the SW corner of the 104 warehouse under one of the large shelves.

The small pan brake is gray and I believe in Machine Shop 102, probably on a cart. Heavy duty. If not there could still be in old Machine Shop area in 104.

The hydrualic air brake last I saw was on a bench inside Metal Shop on a table

2 Likes

Thanks, I’ll stop by again tomorrow to look for it.

2 Likes

The brake in the Machine Shop is on a small cart next to the blue steel table that holds the large vice. This brake has not been mounted as yet, a future volunteer task. Take care if you move it, it is heavier than it looks.

2 Likes

I believe the Machine Shop brake we have some missing parts. @procterc put in a request to Di-Acro not too long before the shutdown. I seem to remember them being shutdown as well or not returning emails.

1 Like

I sent them a message on Tuesday, they have not responded yet

Missed one…

I did say “or so”

1 Like