Messenger bags..... (....)

@FairieCyanide – Does this pattern look like it’d have what you want in a messenger bag? We could add stuff if it’s not quite right.

3 Likes

I see 9 patterns in your link.

I was working on this one that is one of the links at one point in time. I think i have all the pieces cut but never sewed it together.

1 Like

Looks good. My mods would be so it’s more dimensionally close to my Laptop

I got use to carrying a messenger bag when my knee was broken and had to use a walker. I threw all kinds of important stuff in it and fully understand why purses are so coveted (which is really what my messenger bag became).

Mine would either be denim or canvas … can’t have it really looking too much like a purse. :wink:

1 Like

I have no problem with bigger. All the bags i liked were smaller. I guess i like messenger bags that take the place of backpacks.

The one i was working on but never finished, i just decided was going to be a purse replacement. Until i felt comfortable trying to scale up. Speaking of, i could use a new purse. I made one with a light fabric in a class and it got destroyed from use so I’d be happy with a canvas one/small messenger bag replacement.

Another one i liked was this one but i was going to try making it WAY bigger.

1 Like

So it’s just construction that’s an issue? Or time…

I know that I’ll take forever to get to something if I’m a bit unclear on my direction. Plus, just how long do I have if I sit down with it…

Do you want a class? Or just a session? I could take the pattern you used, and run a class with that. (Yes, there are 9 patterns in that link. Figured folks could find one that they liked in 9.) Although, the last time I ran a class-with-a-pattern, only one person got to cut and sew the item.

1 Like

I was working on it before covid and did not own a sewing machine and the space was closed. So i never picked it back up. So it would be cool if i could finish it.

I would be fine with it being a class, if there is enough interest. If not, maybe a session since i haven’t sewed in a long while.

Sounds like it might need to be 2 parts or just a long class. I think it took me a while to get all my pieces cut. I might possibly even just do another one if it’s a class and turn one into a Christmas present and keep the other.

2 Likes

A project class?

If we’re making a thing, that’s a project.

Many classes the instructor demonstrates “making something” students watch and learn. They may be given materials to do on their own project.

For me a Project class is where the student observes a demonstration and makes a project to takeaway. Usually in my case, an emotionally distressing experience resulting in pathetic example that may even have the instructor questioning their abilities.

1 Like

That’s a good resource for the free patterns. Thanks!

You know, of course, that some nerd like me would choose the pattern that’s lined and has the zippered welt pocket in the flap. Just for sport …

Seriously, you might want to check out the scope of the bags and limit it to a couple options with comparable effort otherwise you may be having repeated classes for several weeks.

2 Likes

I mean, when I thought “messenger bags”, multi-option is what came to my mind, too. Yeah, for a project, simpler is better. The one thing I taught that everybody completed was simple zipper bags. In fact, I was a little disappointed in that one. If the first thing you do is the zipper, it takes out all the angst out of installing a zipper into a completed object.

2 Likes

I have been using Wonder Tape to install zippers. Oh my. I am a competent sewist, but I will never install another zipper without it.

2 Likes