Membership growth has implications on training

Hello everybody. I’m a brand-new member, and a technical writer/instructional designer/online course developer with many years of corporate training experience. I would be happy to get involved, and it was suggested that I contact Alex Rhodes, but I don’t yet know how to send a direct message here… :/. Alex, feel free to contact me directly and/or invite me to whatever meetings you’re having.

For best results, videos need to be somewhat scripted, or at least narrowed down into exactly what needs to be shown, before any shooting begins. Considering bandwidth issues, you want to keep your videos short and sweet.

In lieu of videos, you can always take close-up photos or create illustrations to get the instructional point across.

The most important thing to remember is that content dictates form – use media when it’s necessary, not just because you can. A bad video might be worthless, where detailed pictures and instructions will do just fine.

6 Likes

I am here! I will be at the space on Thursday around 7pm. If you can meet me up there I will be more than happy to show you, or anyone willing to help, where we are at. If thursday doesn’t work for you, pm me and we can schedule something.

I’ll come and meet you on Thursday, but I also want to meet the jewelry committee. Plus, I’m unemployed, so if I get a job I may have to cancel. But chances are slim. Thanks, Alex!

1 Like

@julzperkins: I appreciate new IDs to the profession, so looking forward to working together.

@uglyknees: Moodle is new to me, but I’m familiar with Captivate, Lectora, Storyline, etc. I’ll read up, but I need someone to orient me to the course development tool. Love the collaboration at DMS.

1 Like

I’m working on changing careers (from teaching to instructional design) and would love to help out with setting up a moodle/making content and curriculum friendly for all users (the experience would be super helpful!). How can I help?

4 Likes

I’m sure your expertise will be invaluable. @AlexRhodes is leading the charge. I would love to help make this a reality here so count me on the team.

5 Likes

Is anyone keeping a running list? If not, I’ll start one. I’m attempting to organize a team of “course development coaches” (temporary identification) so we can throw together a process, keep a list of course needs that can be prioritized, and determine how to handle whatever comes up. Alex is involved so far, and a small group of people who have written training materials.

3 Likes

I’m interested in the course development team. I’m limited somewhat on personal time until June, but count me in.

In a past life, I’ve taught in lots of settings, done technical training, written a course textbook, like writing documentation and copy, worked as a proofreader, enjoy figuring out logistics and planning classes.

At the space, I teach far more than I use the equipment. Turns out my favorite thing I like to make at Makerspace is Makers :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Please make sure Zeba sees my request to meet (in this or the Moodle and things thread).

Please keep in mind that for some of us, watching a video is NOT the best way to get information. It would be great if for any video there was a corresponding document with the same information. This would serve as a good reference, and would probably be needed as the basis for the script for the video in any case.

1 Like

Completely agree. Thanks for the comment.

1 Like

I’m sure all classes would benefit from structured course development, but the biggest impact is going to be on the recurring classes. They reach the most people and they will benefit from multiple refinement iterations. And of course, the higher priority topics to be “moodled” should be classes on equipment that won’t kill you if you weren’t paying attention to “the video”.

2 Likes

The way I would use the videos would be to first, check out a piece of
equipment and see if it is something that I would be interested in
learning how to use (tool shop looks interesting but —),
If it is a class I want to learn, I will plan on coming and taking a class
I might well use the video to refresh my memory and to help guide me
in what questions I might want to ask. I would have likely also checked
out the written copy.

I would likely review both before I would use the machine,

With the distance and cost of gas, this way, I can take the classes that
I know I want to learn, well ones that I can use, I WANT to learn Everything!
But with needing my hubby to bring me and my poor sight not everything is
possible for me

As we get the Orientation sessions down, it would be great to have
those on video also. I bet they would attract new members

To those interested, there is now a new Curriculum Development SIG. I’ve started posting there. I’m going to put together initial ideas and a process, and have a class/meeting soon (not yet scheduled). Thanks!

2 Likes

Here’s the link to the thread that Nancee started about it:

Tagging some (_but most likely not all_) members who may be interested.... @Zeba @Teacherofsteele @John_Marlow @julzperkins @kyrithia @uglyknees @Bill @AlexRhodes

(I imagine most, if not all, I mentioned above are already elbows deep into it; but, I figured it wouldn’t hurt to tag 'em to be sure… :wink: :slight_smile: )

Thanks again Nancee! :smiley:

2 Likes

I had this same though as I was going thru some of my training. As I was around the space more and more, I thought about how video training could enhance the process by giving a consistent base for all parties and free the instructors to do more of what I am sure they enjoy, working hands on with the student’s projects and ideas. This allows more time to help develop basic skills on the tools and to reinforce tools & shop safety while doing so.

I think that some good starts could be.
Welcome to Makerspace
Here is how to setup your accounts
Here are all the shops & tools
How to be a good maker citizen

I think every shop should have a “basic shop safety course” video to cover
How avoid killing yourself while here doing stuff
What tools are available and what additional training is required to use them

I also think that most of the tool basics or safety classes could be move to an online format as a prerequisite and that the instructors could then use class time to help with skill development and reinforce safety.
A byproduct or subproject would be checkoff sheets for tool setup for safe operations.
Possibly a small troubleshooting guide for each tool of simple items to check when problems are encountered.

I think that we have a group in house that does video & production :wink:

Just my thoughts
Thanks for taking the time to read them,
Woody

3 Likes