Membership growth has implications on training

New membership is a leading indicator of the demand for “operating”/compliance classes - how to operate machinery to prevent injury or machine damage. The vast majority of our tools require some level of training before being allowed to use them.

In ten days we have signed up 41 new members, every one of which will want to take some subset of 3D printer, laser, woodshop basics, auto lift, plasma cam, Bridgeport, photo printer, vinyl cutter, etc. classes.

We are going to need to figure out some systemic way of addressing this need.

9 Likes

Let me know if I can help organize

1 Like

I’m concerned about how we can keep pace with the training requirements for the existing members, let alone the new members.

Maybe it’s time for the various committees to consider video training to meet the “compliance training” requirements. We should still offer proficiency and project classes, but compliance classes shouldn’t be the obstacle preventing people from using the tools. Clearly we want our members to be safe, but members who already have the requisite skills need a suitable means to get “cleared” on the machines without waiting months.

12 Likes

Having been a video producer for a good portion of my life, and also having been an instructional design minor in college, I can speak with some authority to this. Videos are GREAT when done properly, and really bad when done badly. The heavy lift isn’t in the actual shooting of the video, but rather in the pre-production planning stages and post-production processes so as to come out with functional training material. Don’t take this as a statement that it shouldn’t be done, but more as an advisement that It’s a bigger job than most realize.

10 Likes

hey - let’s work on some stuff
@AlexRhodes & @Zeba have been brainstorming ways to get online with some classes.

2 Likes

David @Photomancer, thanks for posting this - it is awesome! Chris @John_Marlow - I would heartily endorse some basics videos…Most of my “advanced” learning has come from on-line demonstrations. I’m more skeptical for, say, basic shop because part of what we want to do is see how the class participant is working. nevertheless - I think it would be awesome to, say, make a video on just the table saw. Taking the intro class doesn’t mean doodly-squat - kind of like getting a high school diploma or a college degree - it means you are just at the beginning…so, take the basic class, then watch the video when you have time to reflect a little bit.

2 Likes

I think videos would be suitable for some things and not for others. Videos are probably suitable for things where the severity/risk of injury and the cost/probability of machine damage are fairly low.

I’m sure I’ll pick the one example that will be incendiary, but let’s consider the Babylock embroidery machine. Currently it is “training required”. Realistically, the both the severity and risk of injury are low. The probability that someone untrained will damage the machine and the cost of that repair are also fairly low. So, IMO (also being the primary Babylock instructor), a quicky video that shows the basic operation and the couple things to not do would be adequate. I’d hate for some honest person (who already knows what to do) to be held up from using the machine until I get around to teaching another class.

In comparison, however, we could and should still conduct “proficiency” classes; i.e., things to do to improve the quality of your own projects, usage tips, etc. Some people wouldn’t be comfortable using the equipment until they’ve taken a proficiency class, but others might be able to get started right away with just a quick video. And of course, project classes are always welcomed.

2 Likes

Anyone familiar with Moodle?
http://learn.dallasmakerspace.org/

NOTE: NOT ready for prime-time.

1 Like

I love the idea of having training videos / modules - such as Moodle, etc…

We would definitely need to put some thought into which tools that members could be “cleared” on by simply watching the video and completing the online lesson; and, which tools that the video/lesson would be the prerequisite to the “hands on” portion that would need to be passed to be “checked out” before being able to use - like we do with the MultiCam CNC router and the HAAS CNC mill…

I used moodle to teach online for two summers. Not a fan - but I’m willing to dive into this.

1 Like

If nothing else, an intro video to a tool would be be very helpful in many ways,
First thing it would serve as an introduction to that tool, It would aloow
folks to see what tools can do ans which they want to learn to use first
It would also likely speed up training, since some of the basics would not have t be
explained.

With some tools, we might be able to pair the video with a group of folks
that are willing to ‘baby sit’ Someone’s first use, I am thinking about some of the jewelry
tools, like the rolling mill and disc cutter,

2 Likes

Agreed…but note that many, many tools and such already have professional videos provided by manufacturers’ (e.g. Festool’s excellent Track Saw instructional video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uz7I0agyT-w), and many many other’s have pro to semi-pro videos available…here’ some for Babylock: https://www.youtube.com/user/BabyLockVideos

One just needs to search them, out.

But, an official DMS list or page that localizes whatever is decided is the video for a certain type, or level of, training is a great ides, Moodle or whatever.

4 Likes

If only there were some kind of database or other “automated thingy” to keep track of new users’ interests…

Without knowing what the real demand is, how can we know where to allocate resources?

Not to be a wet blanket, but I think we need to be VERY careful in which things we would allow as subject matter to meet training requirements. Some of the tools we have are dangerous or can be damaged by a little carelessness. Back on my hands-on component soapbox, I think there is real value in having a hands-on component for training - it allows the instructor to see if the person was listening to what they were told to do and how to do it. So, if video training is going to be done, then could there be a quick hands-on test out before access is truly granted to use some of the machines and tools?

For example the CNC router. Having all the computer stuff and design and tool path and file format info - all the stuff that takes place in lecture basically could be done by video. It would also allow folks to watch it over and over again should they feel the need in order to get a grasp of it all or to just remember what was said and be a great refresher for those who don’t use it often.

I think the hands-on portion of the Woodshop Basics that was implemented is WONDERFUL and having separate videos going over each machine would be great as freshers or prep to actually take the Basics class for those who are brand new to these tools which would include how to clear the dust collectors and stuff that folks sometimes don’t think about people not knowing. The hands-on/test portion could include just a short refresher, instructor demo and then students test out on the tool. It would probably help save the voices of the instructors a bit, too and shorten the classes.

Same as with the Lasers, I’d love an in-depth video of the lasers and the expectations of use, suggested materials and a lot of the stuff that might be somewhere in the Wiki or the back of the manual. However, while I’ve used the Zing and Thunder, I’ve never used the Lasersaur. If I could go back and watch a video I’d feel more confident even though I know the basics from using the other machines. But then, require a hand-on test to see if they know where the fire extinguishers are and the E-stop buttons on each machine, how to use the queue board and where to pay their fees, etc.

For some of the classes, like Leatherworking basics, explaining what the expectations are for use and what tools we have could easily be done by video. The printers, Metaza, air-brushes, vinyl cutters, 3d printing etc, easily the same perhaps.

For the types of general training videos, where there would be no hands-on test, is there any way using our user login function that we could verify that the person played or watched the videos and actually took the training? Some sort of online test that would force them to at least answer questions about the information covered. I mean if we require training for use/access, how would we know that they actually watched the videos?

Also, if we go this route then, I would hope that the BoD and honorarium auditors would perhaps re-examine the general position against open-lab type hands-on classes where there would be a work session for those kinds of things so that people having problems or questions could attend a gathering with instructors for hands-on face time and help. So have for example, 3d printing is taught by video, but then offer a print-lab where people can come with their projects and questions for help from instructors. So an instructor being available for 2 hrs, for example, to host print-lab, or whatever would be compensated for their time and experience and availability to answer question and offer assistance. OMG, if there was a Woodshop open-lab where I didn’t feel like I was pulling someone away from their project to ask for help with mine - that would be amazing…like newbie happy hour! Of course, I’d be a cheer-leader for open-labs in areas that find project classes problematic in any event, but when the face time with instructors is removed by video instruction, I feel open-labs would be even more important. You can slow the videos, back them up, make them repeat themselves ad nauseam, but videos can’t answer your questions no matter how much you might like to talk to the screen.

@Adam_Oas is right, when done well, they are GREAT. When folks come to me with leather questions and say they watched a video on YouTube, I always ask for more information. Some are great and informative and some are very much less so. Additionally, the level of care that one might need to take with something that belongs to the Space, versus tools they personally own, might be drastically different (thinking modified flat head screwdrivers here). There are also different expectations when working in an indoor communal area versus alone at home. I think conveying that should be priority number one.

So for an initial go, perhaps doing videos for new Members (versus the public) on where things are and how to do them would be great and a foolproof way to convey our expectations as a community.
Things like:
General rules overview - DMS stuff stays at DMS and the rules violations that will get you banned or suspended as well
What does “being excellent” really mean? - community expectations of behavior and owning it when you oops
Tech Time - Logging into the DMS computers, accessing the WiFi & jump server, casting to the TVs, general printing
Talk - creating your account, using it to post or PM and how to use the Issues/Requests page
Using the calendar to find and register for classes and tracking events you’re attending or hosting
What’s a Wiki? - where to find the rules, meeting minutes, committee pages and so on
Using the Tool Status Board and finding DMS tool information and manuals
Using MakerManager3 - yes, you do need stinking badges and other account maintenance
Snack time! - getting and using a Parks card, how to manage accounts and add $ online, galley supplies & fridge rules
My stuff and your crap - personal storage bins (how to get one and pay for it) and the Lost and Found shelf
Project, pallet and floor storage (how to get it, manage it and request extensions)
Donating to the 'Space and offering equipment on loan
Help Yourself - The freebie shelves and the Fantastic Scrap Bins and Where to Find Them.
What happens if your stuff gets off-sited (where to go and how to get in)
How to find volunteer opportunities at the 'Space and help out
Where the vacuum cleaners (how to use and empty them) trash bags, hand scrub, utility sink, etc can be found
Taking out the trash - recycling options in the galley and where to find the dumpster, what can go in it and how much!
Your mama don’t work here! - cleaning up after yourself & putting things back where you found them
How to pay your consumables and machine fees (PayPal, envelopes, money monoliths and helping us track the $)
Committees and SIGs at DMS - what they do and how to participate in them
Official Meetings and voting rights at DMS
Teaching at the 'Space (creating classes, using the calendar, marking attendance, honorarium, etc.)
Social time at DMS - potlucks, games, pinball, movie time, food delivery info
Social responsibility at DMS - Can I bring my kids, pets or my beer to DMS?
Over 18 - handling project content at DMS that might be less than family friendly
…these are all things we usually pick up after a few months (or years) as Members only after realizing we didn’t know what we didn’t know. I can’t help but feel that training folks on how to use the 'Space in general and responsibly is just as important as any tool training we can offer. While not everyone might not use the Laser, every member needs to know where to find the trash bags and the dumpster.

7 Likes

I think we need a combo of videos and hands on, I think the video part
will make the hands on more useful. The student can concentrate on
the details and such, You would already know that that part is called
a ‘pulkin’ (made up name) and you would know what its purpose is, One could condentreat
on fastening it correctly and such.

1 Like

I’m actually graduating with my Master’s in Instructional Design this May (which coincidentally is why I haven’t been to the space in over 6 months) and I also have an undergrad in video production and teach high school video production classes so here’s my two cents if you would like it :slight_smile::

I think by making a good combinations of in-house video trainings, youtube videos, and a Moodle type LMS (like @bscharff mentioned) we could have a pretty nice training setup.

My suggestions:

• An orientation video for new members that covers the things @bitta mentioned. This can be shown at the end of an open-house tour, or have it available for drop-ins to watch when someone can’t give a tour. We could also have it available on the website. This way all new members can be prepped on how to work together and navigate Makerspace correctly.

• Introductory videos for the hands-on workshops that are a necessity (like woodworking for example). These could cover basic vocabulary, safety requirements, and any other technical knowledge needed. When a member signs up for a course they can be directed to these videos, receive some sort of completion certificate, and then hand that to the instructor for the hands-on portion. These videos could be instructor approved youtube videos, or videos made in-house.

• For machines that don’t necessarily pose a safety or damage risk, and therefore may not need a class, signs with QR codes or something similar could be posted to direct members to approved video tutorials. Additionally these codes could be posted throughout the space to direct members to the appropriate videos or lessons pertinent to that location.

This is pretty much what has already been mentioned in this thread, but perhaps this model (once set up) would be a low maintenance solution to some of the training concerns. Of course this still leaves the problem of who will produce the videos and if they will be made correctly (because poor instructional design will actually be more of a hindrance than a help). Fortunately, there is a wealth of instructional videos available online and if evaluated by the experts at the space they would be a huge help!

5 Likes

Having suffered through numerous tragically-bad training videos on various online systems at my workplace covering computer processes, I concur. It’s seemingly quite difficult for the producers of these videos to present a coherent view of the system, processes, key bits of information to gather, and ultimately convey actual knowledge to the viewer … and this was in the relatively flat world of computing, not the far more dynamic world of using machinery or other hands-on processes.

1 Like

I think having some video resources for many of the machines, ones that can kill you and ones that can’t, would be useful. From “here’s how to change the blade on the Delta table saw” to “In case you forgot, here’s how to load filament on the Polyprinters.”

QR codes on each machine that link to video resources would be great as well. Walk up to the jointer, hazy on Woodshop Basics, scan the QR code and there’s a walk through to refresh your memory.

3 Likes

The principal problem with videos, is that people wanting or suggesting them frequently hugely underestimate the time, energy, hassle, and skill necessary to make even short videos.

Each and every time training comes up, people suggest videos, and since none ever get made, video is now a red herring in the training needs assessment process. A time waster. Our collective experience has shown, that we don’t currently have the money, or volunteer capacity, to get even short ones done consistently.

What works for us, is formalized and vetted syllabus’ for important classes, and an individual willing to spend a few hours a week giving some time back to the space. We get a lot of classes done that way.

14 Likes

It is up to each committee to decide whether video training is sufficient for tool access.

I keep hearing that Laser is on the verge of doing this though I will still show up at committee meetings to lobby for the continuation of a mandatory, no size limit class to emphasize the risk of fire and what materials are not to be cut.

The main benefit of video training materials is as a refresher for those of us who do not use a tool often enough to remain proficient.

3 Likes