Member not feeling welcomed!

I’m sorry that you were mistreated and I’m sorry for your experience at DMS.
How do you think we can treat people better?

1 Like

Mr. Draco if you are the right person, I would love to have a sit down and explain the issues I see at hand, that not only effects me but new members as well.

1 Like

Atom @Process-Logic, feel free to reach out to the @Board_of_Directors with your concerns. We do not want anyone feeling unwelcome at DMS at any time.

3 Likes

Thank you Mr. Lampy, and I do truly appreciate the kind words.

1 Like

Hi, @Process-Logic. Is there anything I can do? Would you like help finding out where things are?

There’s a member potluck on Sept. 7, and I’d encourage you to go.

There are great people here, and this would give you a chance to meet a lot of them who aren’t in a hurry to finish a project before going back to work or where ever they’re going afterwards.

1 Like

Hello, come to this. I don’t think it’s going to be very big but it might be a way to meet a maker-person or two.

https://talk.dallasmakerspace.org/t/dms-pot-luck-september-7th-7-9-30p/60737

2 Likes

I totally know how you feel, as I’m also seeing the very uninviting behavior.

@draco isn’t in a position to help with larger behavioral issues at DMS.

If you want to be heard by the powers at DMS, please reach out to @Lampy and the rest of the BOD at a office hours sessions. They will listen, which feels good, but they are unlikely to impart any real change for behavioral problems as they are dealing worse than unfriendly behavior currently and that is taking a long time to come to a close. But, they will listen and sometimes being heard and recognized is enough.

Lastly, the culture of our space has changed to a much less inviting culture than we had in the past. Part of this is due to spending cuts as the expansion has shined a fiscal light on the practices of DMS and forced a much larger barrier to spending. Part of this is a split between cliches in the space, with a large cliche seeming acting out against the larger space as they can no longer ignore the rules they did under previous BODs. Lastly, the greater use of the Space for Private Business has hurt the inviting culture. I don’t want to throw all that use the space for business under the bus, as some keep areas of the space running just so they can use them. But, others over use equipment, refuse to share resources, and generally are unkind to members in an effort to bully people away from tools, their projects, or just working space.

Please take @uglyknees and @Holliday up on the invite to the potluck. These events are vastly attended by many of the friendly and excited members among the group and are a good place to make the contacts at DMS.

As a note to @Board_of_Directors, you can alleviate a fair portion of the feeling of budget cuts by getting the common tools back under control. These have been neglected for some time now and it is showing. Not attacking @PearceDunlap, he has been a good chair and has his hands full, but maybe he can empower a member like @Brandon_Green to take control of this area for say a month to get it back in shape. Brandon is particularly talented at the problem solving for these kinds of areas. As his intuition for consolidation and quantity purchasing has had this area at it’s best at times in the past.

Lastly, thank you to everyone that keeps this place running. No one can do it all, though I’m sure it feels like that. Thanks to everyone that spends 10+ minutes in any area making it better for the next person.

Thanks,
Nick

10 Likes

@Nick I don’t think that was appropriate or welcoming. We are not trying to scare him off, if you have a beef with me, lets resolve it. Contact me privately.

@Process-Logic … I am just a member but I am happy to listen. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I am pretty sure this is exactly the sort of thing Process-Logic was referring to in the original Post.

11 Likes

E we have been trying to get a community going here again. And Nick verse statement was totally an effort to destroy any community. No Drake on my not being officer but he’s a member and as a member he has a right to help people. Just like you do if you bothered to instead of trying to be a destructive force. I’m sorry I’m tired of people doing personal tax like the one you just said. Come and help come and help DMS grow and prosper are sit back and just enjoy yourself.

Let me welcome you from one of the members is not quite as active right now is normal. Real life sorted jumped in and got in my way this summer. But if you see me at the spice please come by cyhi introduce yourself and I’ll help you any way I can I’m the short older lady that usually has her hair piled in a sloppy bun on top of my head a lot of people know me I’m in jewelry a lot sometimes in the common room. But I’m willing to help you any way you can. There’s a lot of great and friendly people at the space. One thing that has happened recently is with the expansion we’re a lot more scattered out so it’s kind of hard to run into certain people. We used to be just kind of crammed in on top of each other song You’re reliable stub your toe on the right person. But please don’t let a few people discouraging DMS is a wonderful place of creative talented and welcoming

1 Like

@Process-Logic
Welcome to DMS. I am speaking only as a member. I also am concerned that you felt unwelcome. DMS has a range of types, and some work solo, some don’t engage with others. Unfortunately, some are outright unwelcoming, but I will say I feel certain there are a ton of members that will be more welcoming. My hope is you will quickly find some folks that will demonstrate the other side of our community.

5 Likes

No more taxes! Taxes bad!

I think that the reason we may not have a “customer service attitude” is that we don’t have customers.

We just have unpaid members, who volunteer their time as their whims dictate. Of course that’s no excuse for some people being jerks, assuming that’s what happened. I’m not trying to throw shade – I’m just stating the facts. We are what we are, and I mean that in both senses.

I think, though, that we ought to be thinking of our fellow members as our customers. They pay for tools, education, and helpful advice. Their dues make “your” tools available to you.

I did notice that “Process-Logic” doesn’t have a green dot next to his name. Guess he’s no longer paying dues.

Anyway, that’s my $0.02.

3 Likes

He may be new to talk. You have to request the green dot.

2 Likes

Welcome! If there is anything i can show you I’m happy to do so!

5 Likes

That’s not what she said. It’s a transcription error,

@yashsedai, @Cairenn_Day has mentioned on numerous threads that she has vision problems and uses voice dictation. Maybe you haven’t seen her post that, but it is what’s happening.

Her transcription app wrote “a tax” when she dictated “personal attacks.”

When you read her posts, it’s helpful to remember she’s dealing with autocorrect times ten, and probably can’t see well enough to change the typos

4 Likes

Wait just a second,
You can’t have it both ways. Either she is vision impaired or she isn’t. She sure seems to have no issue telling people they are taxing someone when she disagrees but cant be bothered to take the time to correct her posts because she uses voice to text. Fyi, when typing the keyboard can be made as large as the text. I’m not biting…

Hey Freddy,

Have some compassion and walk a mile in her shoes. Put a big black circle in the middle of your field of vision and try to type.

4 Likes