Member Meeting tomorrow...or "Makers assemble!"

potluck (noun): used in reference to a situation in which one must take a chance that whatever is available will prove to be good or acceptable.

With FOOD. Woo-hoo!

To keep the meeting as productive as possible, Chairs, please submit your monthly reports in WRITING on Talk. Please. Please. Please. Please.
24 committees giving verbal reports at a limit of 2 minutes…there is not enough wine at this potluck to get us through that.

What we really really really want to hear about is
E
X
P
A
N
S
I
O
N

and Open House, aka our annual birthday party…or “how we’re going to pay for the EXPANSION”.

6 Likes

Bringing food is not a requirement for attendance, fyi.
Whatever we have, we’ll make it stretch.
Except the wine or beer.

2 Likes

My understanding is that all shall be revealed at the membership mtng.

Expansion fund and (tapping) committee funds (if needed) as per BoD mtngs.

Should be interesting - maybe entertaining.

3 Likes

Understood.
My not-so-gentle point is the @Committee_Chairs have the power to keep this meeting from running long by submitting a simple paragraph on Talk updating the month’s activities. A paragraph. That’s all.

2 Likes

Thanks for the reminder Steph! I can’t believe it’s already been a month. This one sneaked up on me.

1 Like

Me, too! Kris had to remind me.

1 Like

DIGITAL MEDIA REPORT:

• Digital Media Basics classes are now posted through October. I have them scheduled on a monthly basis and I hope that whoever takes over as chair will continue. (hoping to have some kind of class outline done soon)

• I’m also trying to finish my outlines for more software classes. My first Illustrator class is planned for August 22nd. Preparing to teach a class on a software that I’m really familiar with has proven much more difficult than I expected.

• We have purchased a new camera as was planned before I became chair!
    Now we have 2 SLRs and the plan is to develop a check-out system so that members can borrow the gear because there are only so many photo/video opportunities at DMS.

We could definitely use some suggestions on how to execute a low-tech solution to this!
At the moment the only idea we’ve got is a pen and paper check-out sheet.

On the plus side it would be easy to use and implement, the downside being that it’s still 100% honor-based.

5 Likes

I always appriciate the reminder! Blacksmithings minutes are on the wiki now!
https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/Blacksmithing_Committee_Meeting_20180715

4 Likes

The Expansion Team will be unveiling the final Expansion layout.

9 Likes

Is there any way to increase that to 20 point type and make it flash? It’s exciting and should reflect it.

5 Likes

@Kriskat30 and your wonderful helpers who set up the tables…

@John_Marlow has asked for as big a crowd as possible.
She wants to reach as many people as possible with the Big Expansion Reveal.
Which got me thinking…
Let’s skip dinning tables tomorrow and just line up chairs.
If need be, we can set up the food on the back Common Room table like we did on New Year’s Eve.

3 Likes

Would help if there was mention of it on the calendar listing or a meeting agenda on the wiki

2 Likes

@Kriskat30@tombakerftw … Is it possible to somehow set up some kind of a microphone for me to use? Voice projection is difficult for me right now …

2 Likes

We can probably get something going through the receiver if the meeting is in the lecture hall. not sure about interactive.

1 Like

Check with @Azalaket to see if you can use the woodshop loudspeaker.

1 Like

There is a small personal PA in my storage shelf. You are welcome to use it. My students can hear me over woodshop tools with it. Kind of like a belt clip megaphone. Charges with micro usb. If you need the bigger one, @Azalaket or Chris Ghaly will have to tell you where to find it.

6 Likes

The big thing that is happening in VECTOR currently is that we are about to do our third event at the Fort Worth Museum of Science and History on Saturday August 18th from 7-11pm for the Give Back Game Night. More information on this event can be found here https://www.facebook.com/events/2090283611225257/ and here at https://www.fwmuseum.org/exhibit/give-back-game-night/ Currently we are working to get all of the games that will be going prepped and ready for the event.

Planning for the upcoming move and expansion of our committee area is well underway. We have basically figured out how we plan to setup our area and identified where the power and air drops are needed.

As requested another bad caps electronics repair class will be on the calendar soon. Trying to work it in around Raymond’s work travel and upcoming vacation.

Several new member projects are about to get started in VECTOR. More one-on-one training on repairing and troubleshooting their game and how it works.

Also in the planning process of another big event for VECTOR for later this fall.

6 Likes

Can the expansion team post the Expansion layout somewhere during/after the meeting so those of us that can’t make it to the meeting can view it?

I’m assuming they will, but I’m so excited I must ask when and where.

4 Likes

Yes, after. :blankspace:

2 Likes