Member introspection question

Ask yourself this - are you a (net) consumer or a (net) producer of services at DMS (i.e., do you take more than you give or vice versa)?

This is not for recognition nor is it for shame - this is for the improvement of DMS. This is for people to ask themselves in the quiet of their own minds.

When I asked myself this question, I realized that I could be more helpful. I take a lot of classes (Yeay!! I love classes!) So I have vowed to myself that for each class I take, I will teach a class. But that’s just me and that vow won’t work for everyone.

Everyone has unique skills and limitations. You might not be able to repair the air conditioner, but you can probably sort out the drill bits in the shop. You may not be able to debug the driver on the PlasmaCam, but you can probably take out the trash. You may not be able to teach but you can probably carry toilet paper into the restrooms from the Unisex bathroom. Every few minutes someone spends makes DMS just a little bit better.

Please do not enumerate all the goodness you’re contributing, but if you have a vow you’d like to make, and maybe you’d like to challenge others … please share.

Here’s one to start off with: Every time I make something at DMS, I vow to spend 10 minutes cleaning up a mess that I didn’t make. (In my case, I’ll have to do that cleanup first because my projects always take too long :slight_smile: )

14 Likes

How about we all try to make it so that “sort the drill bits” or “put up tools” isn’t something that anyone needs to do? If everyone puts stuff back when they’re done, that would be a great start.

I think, though, I need to challenge myself to simply get to the space and make something this month…

4 Likes

Wouldn’t it be great if … we all made the ten minute vow and then found out that there wasn’t anything to do?

Yep. I can dream.

4 Likes

Give more… and appreciate everyone who helps with off-siting. Volunteers make the job much easier.

Tim, Art, and Luke for labor and Madame Presidente for making phone calls to some of the members this past weekend made things go quicker. Hope I didn’t forget anyone.

4 Likes

Coasting on past margin, simultaneously not drawing down my balance much since I all but disappeared in late April.

I admittedly burned out spending so much time doing DMS work.

6 Likes

Taking out the trash is way under rated.

6 Likes

I guess my resolution is to not behave at DMS as I do at home. At DMS I try to make sure I clean up and put everything back in its place. Respect for others, our space, efficiency are some the reasons. My habits here are beginning to have a positive effect on my habits around my own house This is no small feat because my house has been a mess for years. Still is but getting much better.

9 Likes

Always, leave it cleaner than you found it. Whatever IT is.

5 Likes