Member Disrespect

Went to the 3D Fab room earlier this week and found it to be quite clean with no printers out of service. Nice work by @Team_3D_Fab! Has been months since I last used a 3D Printer. After my print was done, I found a plastic box with an Xacto knife and multiple blades with a nice pen-like holder. When done I replace the knife in this
box and put back in the tool drawer. This morning, I had another print job and when
it completed, I went to get the Xacto knife in the tool drawer and found this:
xacto
Whomever used the knife has shown their disrespect for tools in the "space’.
Don’t know where they dumped the knife (and several blades that are also missing).
Perhaps if they read these FORUMS, they will return the knife and blades where they found them. I’ll bet they are as disrespectful with other tools and resources. We don’t need members like this!

Saw this on FB and immediately thought of this thread:

5 Likes

Cameras, and a 1 and a 2

“DO NOT YELL AT THE MOON”

Here is a spell of peaceful calm … https://imgur.com/gallery/j4Hre8F

1 Like

If having to search for a tool causes this much angst for members, they better buy keyboards by the case if they plan to use the woodshop. You are going to wear them out. :wink:

2 Likes

I appreciate the “kind” replies, however you miss the point…more time than not I come into the space and find messes everywhere… People just walk away with their completed projects and leave the workspace with their mess, tools not put back in their place, etc. for someone else to clean up. Its a shame ….

Where’s my tape measure!

1 Like

…crime against making.

So what i am hearing is another kit or two for 3d fab for xactos, 3 or 4 more small metal spatulas for the 3d fab, perhaps a big thing of acetone label for 3d fab, another set of dry erase markers, and a through cleaning? Does this sound like what we want?

1 Like

@ceramicCAP We’re getting a list together of all the tools/etc the new workstations should have in the new area so we can equipt them properly. Feel free to work on your list and share it at our next fab meeting (6/15 I think?) :grinning:

I come in at 3 am and see this kind of stuff all the time. I don’t make thread about it.

I have gone into 3d fab and found small messes. abandoned failed prints, and disorganized drawers. dust collector in the wood shop is at full capacity. etc.
I actually have a box in my trunk full of small tools / odds and ends because i do not expect every time for every tool to be functioning and in it’s place.

What do i do when i find a mess in the middle of the night? I just picked up the mess. and didn’t open a talk thread. nobody sees me do it. i just do it. sometimes the solution to the problem is the person that is standing right there looking at the problem.

I assume I’ve left small messes or work stations in some form of disarray in ways that have upset other people, I’m just not aware of them because this maker space is by nature asynchronous.

3 Likes

Brenly thank you for being tolerate. You have been stalwart and resourceful. You wish to embody the getter done attitude and do oceracy we have here at makerspace. We should all clean up a bit more and help others do so.

3 Likes

Ongoing long term problem. Tools migrate never to return home, etc. Check with some the Chairs and they’ll tell you the inventory in their toolboxes is constantly changing. And then there are the tools that are misused and abused.

Want / need quality tools? Bring your own and be sure to take them with you when you’re done. Haven’t found a long term solution to this and doubt there is one.

3 Likes

Please, no… Not unless you can get permission to store the big thing in the Flammables cabinet. The Fire Marshall won’t like a big thing of acetone.

2 Likes