Melting Furnace

Does the space have a melting furnace?

I have aluminum and brass scrap. I was thinking of melting it down into ingots to use for making other things.

The last I saw the furnace, we gave it to Blacksmithing, who put it in the trailer. Folks were doing aluminum, so there should be a crucible for aluminum. I’m 99% sure that you’d need to buy your own brass crucible. Actually, jewelry does cast brass (brass? bronze? the one without zinc.) They’re usually working small quantities, and usually the casting pellets.

@Team_Blacksmithing @Team_Jewelry

Bronze, no brass

3 Likes

Jewelry casts bronze, not brass. Brass has the zinc, which does not behave well when hot.

I did notice all of the soda cans in the snack room and wondered if someone might have fun melting those down

As soon as I have a project I can use all that aluminum for. Maybe a month or two?

There is usually some aluminum chips from Haas projects. I may have other metals mixed in like steel - but they would go to the bottom of the melt and would be able to separate prior with a magnet o just be in last ingot poured.

@dryad2b @procterc @Team_Blacksmithing We used to have a propane fire furnace that was used out back for melting low temp metal, mainly aluminum for castings outside. I’d guess some of the crucibles were between 1.0-1.5 liters by volume. Does anyone know if it still exists? The last time I saw it was in storage closet next to kilns. While not “Blacksmithing” it would seem to be nice concurrent/add-on activity to when Blacksmithing events occur.

I think Beth addressed that here:

1 Like

Kelly Coffield has a lot of great work on YT of his furnace & lost foam casting. Its quite interesting the setup he has.

2 Likes