Meeting Scheduled - September 7, 2019 5PM-7PM

Sep 7 5pm to 6pm
Calendar event:
https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/13884

Wiki entry for minutes agenda attendance etc:
https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/Education_Committee_Meeting_20190907

i understand you editing the title, but I was waiting on the calendar item confirmation.

Feel free to “unedit” if it better suites your purpose.
And accept my apologies for my “drive by demo” that our thread titles can be so. much. more. utilitarian than we often make them…

no, i in fact appreciate it, but just mentioning so you know why i didnt make it so easy to see.

1 Like

Lol, and I just edited it too…I’ll go undo that.

no no the edit was fine, i was just waiting on the event to be published, since its not for honorarium, didn’t know if it can be forced approved.

I’m surprised it wasn’t me doing the edit … Apologies for the times I’ve been the actual culprit.

I will try my best to make it … I’m glad it isn’t at 7pm when the pot luck is happening

1 Like

Still in Colorado, but I’m hopeful others will be able to attend to provide the many positive synergies of adopting the tabletop sig and the toastmasters sig under education committee.

2 Likes

E I hope to make it but since I do not have transportation there is a chance I may not or I might run late. Since I’m depending on somebody else and I forgot the meeting was tonight so I forgot to tell her ahead of time. Well in fact I thought it became it came after the board meeting I got confused on when the board meeting was sorry but I hope to be

minutes typed by Joe Mattes:

9/7/19 - Education Committee Meeting - Meeting Started about 5:05 pm

8.5 Persons in attendance:
John Gorman
John Baker
Cairenn Day
Art Givens
Draco
Holly
Max Kirkland
(.5) Doug Emes through phone

Talking points:

  • Agreed to have a Teachers meetings in the next month, and by using emails to communicate with said teachers
  • List of duties/responsibilities/expectations for teachers.
  • Class attendees cancelations are an issue - sending reminders to attendees would be helpful for everyone.
  • Tabletop SIG becoming under the Education Committee - Vote started by John Gorman, Art Givens seconded, 7 votes for, 1 abstained, 1 Proxy Vote through Draco for Laura (counted in votes for)
  • John Suggested purchasing a rolling cabinet for the SIG, John will get a lock for it for the interim
  • Draco suggested bringing the Toastmasters SIG under Education. John asked what their needs that would require being under a committee. Art Suggested their roles are applicable to being teachers. John Called Doug - Have a bunch of instructors that do a good job of showing different skills and techniques that could be helpful for members. They also have an 80 year long history with a proven track record for teaching public speaking. It would be helpful for teaching teachers to be better at their craft. Doug said they need a shelf/small amount of storage for a podium, and other small accessories. A podium on wheels was suggested. John starts a Vote to adopt DMS Toastmasters SIG underneath Education, Cairenn Seconds, 8 votes for, 0 objections, 1 proxy vote through Draco for Laura to vote in favor (vote counted in total)
  • Will need to make a push to get the old printmaking room back.
  • Student Expectations to follow up Teacher Expectations - No shows to classes are a problem
  • Calendar reminder function - Draco remembers a reminder feature and may have been disabled at some point, but that would be incredibly helpful for classes (similar to a point above). Would be useful to regain ownership of the calendar to make improvements like reminders.
  • Holly suggested that Safetey/Required classes get honorarium first to make sure new members who are looking for specific tools are able to get to use them.
  • Honorariums and the amount of Teachers still teaching may be related, theirs been a dramatic down-flux in offered classes. Eventbrite may also our committees due to all funds earned through there go directly to the teachers instead of the committees also getting funds.
  • Need to find data points on classes offered, class costs, teachers cost, ect.
  • Certification Testing instead of NEEDING required classes for members who feel they are qualified/ARE qualified to use the machines. It would cut down on wait time from joining to being able to use said machines. ‘Testing out’ of required training classes. This is a way to expedite qualified persons getting DMS certifications on machines.
  • Refresher videos on machines so people who are trained can get a walk through in case they dont use that machine often, but have a new project to get started.

Action Items:

  • Draco and John will work on developing a Teachers Expectations document
  • Draco and John will work on developing a Student Expectations document
2 Likes