Medicinal herbs classes?

Anyone interested in medicinal herbs discussions? If so, what topics would be of interest? And when would be a good time for classes?

NOTE - not to diagnose any illnesses or recommend treatments. I am a practicing herbalist, 40 years or so, but I AM NOT a doctor. Any herbal use should be confirmed with your health care practicioner. We would be looking primarily at historical uses and formulations.

2 Likes

I am thinking of doing a class on essential oil distillation, perhaps they would be a good mesh, could you do it in science? Are you familiar with Chinese Herbal Medicine?

4 Likes

I am interested in both classes.

Julie, what would you like to cover in medicinal herbs?

Josh, I have not done essential oil distillations, but have some info on doing it with a rig off a pressure cooker, if I can find the info in my still room. Some oils are easier to do than others (e.g. mint, rosemary, etc. relatively easy). I have a pressure cooker and a glass condenser, but have never gotten around to trying to hook everything up.

Do have some recipes for “waters” that need to be distilled, e.g. Carmelite water, maybe rosewater, maybe a couple others.

I am not very informed about the Chinese system of herbal medicine, more about Western European and a little Native American traditions. Old “mountain medicine” stuff, family history, etc.

Planning on doing any classes in the science area.

Essential oil distillation?! I’m in!

1 Like