May 22nd Laser Office Hours...or "How May We Help You?"

Two weeks ago, we had a terrific turnout. Five members got the in-depth help they needed. Thank you to @pinewoodnut and @sawdeck who helped out then. I plan to be one of the helpers on the 22nd.

5 Likes

I have an AI file from a friend that I want to laser engrave and while I’ve taken the class and used the laser 1-2 times, I’m clueless at how to really go from design to production. Is this a good opportunity for me to bring the AI file and get help?

2 Likes

…not sure if trying to bring Skynet online or my laser ignorance is showing.

3 Likes

Yes. Bring your Adobe illustrator file. Just know that some of us are AI capable, but not the majority. No promises. We use AI as a file format bridge from Inkscape to RDWorks.

Edit:. Bring your laptop. Can’t do design work on Laser PCs. Or we’ll use design computers in common room.

1 Like

I’m very Illustrator capable! I have a hard time making it to DMS by 7 on weeknights though, so I might not be able to make the next office hours.

@indytruks138 As far as etching goes, you don’t have to do a ton of pre-work. It should be a mostly WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) situation. That being said, you should use LightBurn instead of RDworks if you’re using one of the Thunders.

My etching results in RDworks have been disappointing to say the least.

Oh! and you can usually open AI files in Photoshop with minimal errors. From there you can crop or mess with contrast or whatever you need.

I’ll keep this in mind. Ryan is not the first to ask me about AI.
I’ll try to get with you about Office Hours for June and schedule late.
A random set of times can reach more people overall.

1 Like