May 2019 Metal Shop Committee Meeting (5/4/2019, 12pm)

Administrative agenda items

• Discuss Welding Instructor Class (Proposed by @malcolmputer )
  • Provide update from Expansion
  • Discuss some abusers of the welding bay & better enforcement of payments (MIG statues and the like)
  • discuss any new business & requests
  • Look at Lincoln TIG hose and see if we want to replace it
  • Discuss new inverter TIG machine (@yashsedai)
  • Vote on Chair

Must Do Chores List

• Check our current assortment of safety glasses (both shaded and clear)
  • Remove the Red Tool Chest, and some of their less often used totes to the new blacksmithing area. Recommended by Expansion to grab some pallets to make them easier to deal with. Why are we doing this rather than them? So we can get some of our space sooner.
  • Clean up remaining metal items on black shelves and disassemble and/or move
  • evaluate adjusting the committee steel storage with black shelves out of the way
  • Weld new Large Oven base using the I-Beams @procterc procured
  • clean up committee roll up since it’s overstuffed again
    ** Weld small cage for pony bottles to get them out of committee storage. Will CAD in advance
  • clean up tall cabinet on welding bay. Stuff in it can more likely be tidy’d up across the back row of shelves. It’s never closed anyway.
  • make Vinyl / Other labels for the front tool chest “KEEP CLOSED” (large, inside lift lid), “Batteries” (outside lid , smaller), “Material Removal” (for material removal drawer with files etc), “Screwdrivers / Pliers”, “Hammers and Punches,” “Power Outlets” (on lid)
  • check grinder wheels
  • check welder wire and gas
  • Anchor the Drill Press somewhere (it’s not on stable enough of a base)

Other items for todo list

• weld oven jig (come on, it’s been months)
  • inspect large belt sander Dust Collector (was cleaned last meeting, need to see what else is required or if it’s just working. Will encourage heavier use if functional)
  • Look at better bending die storage. New 1-3/4 die has a shipping notice.
  • laminate the new vapor hone instructions (which had been finished in layout after the last meeting)
  • find some way to lock the pressure regulator on the vapor hone due to repeated abuse

Items for Acquisition on Supply Runs

• Vapor Hone media, if needed (Aluminium Oxide, by the Bucket)
  • Steel Paint Pens (at least 3x orange pens, other colours possible but not a priority)
  • 2x 1 gallon containers of Acetone (one will be marked & reserved for committee / teaching use)
  • basic drill bit set for the drill press
1 Like

Fine, you fit it I’ll weld it.

Can we order a hose for the Lincoln TIG? someone melted it. It’s not leaking yet, but it’s looking like it could any day and I’d like to have a spare on hand for when it does.

Have we checked the lincoln tig box in the cabinet to see if there was a spare in there first? Someone told me we might, but I don’t know the combination. since it was before my time.

-Jim

We have a box for Lincoln parts? News to me.

No spare hose for the Lincoln. The box of those components are the stick welding attachments.

Those stick welding attachments that are forbidden from use because you should use the other welder instead btw.

Maybe that’s why they are locked up.

Can’t be there. Wish I could. Are we keeping Jim as Chair, Tim as Vice?

1 Like

Don’t forget the TIG machine!

Tis my vote!

2 Likes

so far no one else has announced an intention, so probably.

Ah that explains why I’ve never once needed something from in there.
In that case I’ll add the host as something for us to look at.

yeah we all still have to discuss that. Did you ever send me a full set of options etc?

1 Like

I’ll send them over shortly. Also I’m seeking replacement cost on the glass for the vapor hone, its getting to be too frosted to see thru.

Sent you the 2 quotes from metro with cyberweld comparisons

yeah this is something that needs to be done and has been expected for a long time. Unless it’s really out there I trust you just to get it done.

Thanks. Will forward to the committee.

On behalf of blacksmithing, we (I at least) haven’t heard a word about being able to move next door. Do what y’all want with the red tool chest (and we’re, by which I mean “I”, am happy to move it next door if that’s kosher now). Please leave the rest of the blacksmithing stuff alone. If you need the shelf space the totes are taking up that badly, one of us will move it to the trailer, like most everything else we have.

1 Like

Ok,

I had asked Ethan a while back but I may not have been clear on it (and I definitely screwed up the wording of the post above when I conflated the two). The chest is moving over since it’s not in use yet, but the black shelf stuff isn’t going out of the room. Blacksmithing was getting the tan cabinet next to the welding bay for the stuff on the black shelves that wasn’t metal’s and we were going to flip them around after sorting and moving Metal’s stuff to other shelving.

As for the toolchest etc, I had been informed that if it’s on wheels or a stable pallet it’s ok to go over as long as expansion is allowed to move it.

-Jim

1 Like

Works for me, thanks.

1 Like

Is there a date for this soirée?

1 Like

As usual, it’s the first saturday of the month starting at noon and running at least until 5pm

We’ll get minutes up from Tim shortly.

Tl;Dr version:
I got reelected chair
We voted to buy a Miller Dynasty 280 DX inverter TIG
We Tabled the welding course for instructors since we did not have the information needed to act on, but we discussed the notion.

Tasks completed:
Anchor drill press
Weld new oven base and get the oven on it
Switch the Dynatorch computer to the new crash cart donated by @nacho
Run new air lead in to Dynatorch
Cleared remaining metal items off black shelving next to oven
Sorted metal supplies
Initial labeling of new tool chests
General cleaning

6 Likes

Here are the Minutes

Attendees.

Chuck Graf (he had 300+ proxies to not be chair)
Jason Harner
Charles Procter
Larry Curtis
Robert Henley
David Shannon
Judy Kriehn
Freddy Calvert
JJ Perry
Jim Hartnett
Tim Bene

Chair vote: Jim unanimously re-elected

Malcolm called to weigh in his opinion on the TIG machine. We weighed our options on HTP, & Lincoln Precision Tig. We felt that we needed an Inverter machine with the ability to have local support. HTP does not have local support. The Lincoln is a transformer based machine.
Motion for New Miller DX 280 Tigrunner. Motion seconded for machine.
All in favor, no abstaining Cost 8013.53
This machine is fully ready & water cooled.

3 Likes