May 2017 Kiln News

I’ll be loading a glaze kiln Tuesday night (5/2). I’m starting early for me – somewhere around 6-7… ish…

2 Likes

The glaze kiln is running. I expect to unload it Thursday night. Right now I’m debating on when the next bisque kiln should start. There’s a lot of stuff, but a good bit of it is probably too damp to be dry by Thursday. So – probably next Tuesday for the next bisque kiln. That will clear the shelves for the classes that start up that day and Wednesday next week.

3 Likes

We added 2 more shelves to the racks today, one on the glaze side and one on the greenware side there should be plenty of room for new stuff now.

Started a bisque kiln tonight. I’ll probably run another one on Monday night, so that the pieces from the Handbuilding class will be ready to glaze by Thursday night. Tentative plans to run a glaze kiln starting Thursday night, if all the H/B class folks get their pieces glazed. Not much is glazed right now.

2 Likes

Bisque kiln is unloaded. A few pieces of bisque got put on the greenware shelf for space reasons. I may reorganize tomorrow.

2 Likes

I have two large yarn bowls that I glazed yesterday with runny glazes that I wadded for safety. But as time has gone on, I’ve reconsidered and want to be extra safe. Can you please put a hold on them until I can get a couple of glaze trays through bisque? Thanks!

Chris

Sure! Current plan is to load another bisque Tuesday night, so as to get the last handbuilt class bisqued by Thursday. If you don’t have trays by Thursday, then I won’t put them in.

2 Likes

Awesome, thank you. I snagged one tray from a friend (that bowl is marked ready to fire) and threw two quick trays that are sitting on the To Be Bisqued shelf for when kiln space works out. (Wide, flat things, bane of the noble kiln loader!)

Chris

1 Like

And the two trays went into the current bisque kiln. It was at 1100 earlier today, so probably tomorrow afternoon for unloading.

3 Likes

Just loaded the Glaze Kiln. Everything got in. Planning on unloading Thursday afternoon.

And I’ll load another bisque kiln around 8:30-ish Thursday evening.

5 Likes

The glaze kiln is unloaded. Many nice things. A couple of unexpected drips… Bisque goes in soon. I can tell that there will be another bisque after the weekend.

2 Likes

Bisque 1 is loaded. I’ll be away for the weekend, so it will get unloaded Tuesday afternoon when I get back into town. And then I’ll load another bisque kiln, because there’s still enough stuff left for another kiln. Lots of things are sitting on the bisque shelves ready to be glazed, too.

3 Likes

It’s still May, so this goes here. Loaded the 2nd bisque tonight. Missed a few pieces that weren’t dry enough. Glaze your stuff, and it’ll get loaded… soon. Carl has a bunch of mugs, and if he glazes those we’ll be ready to load glaze as soon as the bisque comes out – probably sometime Thursday.

3 Likes