Matt K is leaving - going away party details (7/12 7pm)

@mkart is going to hate this and I don’t give a rats ass he can hate me later.

Dearest Champion of makerspace Matt is going to leave this place for the best possible reason…a lady friend. He’s moving back to St. Louis to make his life full circle and we will miss the hell outta this guy.

Going away party: July 12th
Time: 7:00p
At: Champps Kitchen in Irving
Address: 855 West John W Carpenter Fwy Irving, TX 75039

Here’s a picture of him because well you know you know people and don’t know exactly know names so let’s just make it easy. Although he’s 7’5" so you’re usually looking at his kneecaps when you see him.

Makerspace will hurt in the following ways:

1. We will need to get ladders to grab tall things instead of just asking him
  2. Inappropriate jokes will go unnoticed (that’s a lie actually)
  3. His radiant smile won’t be around after he shares some insight about making
  4. We won’t find him rustling around high on sawdust anymore - which actually might be a good thing (it’s cocaine to you woodshop folk)

So anywhoooo whomever might be interested I believe we should gather to raise a glass or a burger or both and wish him luck on his next adventure. I did three minutes of research and I defaulted and asked someone else for help and this is what we came up with https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/champps-kitchen-and-bar-irving-8?start=90 is sorta-kinda-not-really-close and looks like a good place - drinks and a good array of food I talked with Matt and he’s going to be available on the 12th.

SOOOOO everyone is invited @Team_Woodshop get your people together an let’s do this thang.

10 Likes

you are not a good listener!

7 Likes

Sorry… did you say something?

:laughing:

Matt congrats, but you will be missed.

1 Like

That is an older picture from when he was much much younger…maybe college. Here is a more current one so you can recognize him better:

4 Likes

What about how you didn’t want a fuss. Ya. Heard that.

Sorry not sorry sucka.

Champs is a good place to go.

We will definitely miss your kind and excellent instruction in the woodshop. Keep in touch will you? If I ever get to St. Louis again, I’ll give you a call and we can go hoist a beer. I hope you haven’t sold all of your equipment.

2 Likes

Best of luck in St. Louis! While you are there you should partake of the ribs at Pappy’s. :slight_smile:

I made you a small box out of leftover MDF and OSB. I joined the 45ish miters with elmers glue and upcycled rusty nails. hope you like it.

1 Like

Did you sand it to 1500? :wink:

of course. finished it with walnut flavored minwax.

1 Like

I helped by taking a picture of it:

3 Likes

Flavored? Awesome. You wood people are one funky bunch.

Bumping this thread as a reminder! This Wednesday :slight_smile:

1 Like

Matt,

I can’t make is as I am training a local young gentleman how to prepare a large piece of mesquite for a desk he is making. I sold him the mesquite but he has little woodworking experience so I am showing him how to do it.

If you need some mesquite let me know. I can mail you some blanks in the future.
Maybe, as my skills increase, I can come up and you can show me that laminating factory and I can bring some money.

Thank you for supporting the turners in our Space.
Jeff Whitcomb

4 Likes

I have learned a lot from Matt. He is one of the most generous and helpful people I’ve ever known.
He’s an incredibly talented wood worker and wood turner. I heard from @Azalaket that he’s already got three trips planned to come back to DFW, so perhaps we’ll still see him occasionally.

I’m looking forward to the party on the 12th. At some point I hope I get a chance to return to St. Louis and catch up with Matt there. My uncle and niece still live in Kirkwood.

2 Likes

Pushing this up. If anyone wants to come eat and be merry.

1 Like